• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Who's Ever Gotten There Arse Kicked by a Maduro?

Coinguy89

New Grower
I had a rare opportunity to enjoy a smoke with my cousin, whom I rarely get to hang out with. He grabbed one of my La Gloria Cubana and I grabbed a Maduro Java by Rocky Patel and Drew Estate. This was roughly around 10PM after a hockey game, four hours after I had eaten a meal! Never smoke a maduro on an empty stomach. We drove to a Tim Hortons and I spent a 30 minutes in the restroom. It was a great smoke, but I felt like a drunk, it just totally kicked my arse. Has anyone experienced something like this in their beginning years? I'm sure this doesn't happen to you veterans anymore. Right?

I would blame it on the fact that you were smoking a Java by Rocky Patel and Drew Estate and not the fact that it was a maduro. It seems to be a common misnomer to some that wrapper color indicates strength. I always hear guys on my beer forums talking about needing a much bigger beer to handle the "strength of the maduro" when in my experience, more often than not, just the opposite is true.

I walked into my local and grabbed the largest size 64 maduro they had in. Sat down to watch a game the next thing i know im covered in sweat and chest feels like it just got punched. After thinking back i dont think i had anything to eat at all that day. Duhhhh so the bottle of water i grabbed and a couple free donuts from the local and i got through it. good game good smoke but makes me always pay attention to when i ate last. The thing is ive had some hefty cigars after not eating and done fine. Maybe i was close to being sick and the lack of food and added cigar just did me in. I agree that maduro is not really stronger i think richer is a good word But there is something about the maduro when i have not eaten it hits home worse.

Certain cigars make me woozy, but it's rarely because of a maduro wrapper. I find most maduros are too sweet for me, especially the Java. I fell for the whole "wrapper color == strength" when I was starting, too.

It could have been that you hadn't eaten, were dehydrated a little (this gets me a lot) or it really was just strong for you. Either way, it sounds like you enjoyed it for the most part. :)

Hah, I got mine kicked by a natural wrapper. It was an Avo #2 and was my first cigar. I had no idea what was happening, and ended up lying on my bed for a few hours feeling like my appendix had burst. And for some crazy reason I kept smoking. Probably because I had bought 4 other cigars and didn't want to waste them.

Cheapskate to the very end. :rolleyes:

I've had similar experiences with all wrappers, but the one that did me the worst was an LFD Coronado. I got it free at an LFD event. I ate some beforehand and then lit up. I was warned that it was strong, but I didn't feel it until about halfway through. I started sweatin' like a fool and wasn't sure if I was going to crap myself or hork up on my buddy. I made it through the event with my dignity intact, but just barely.

Oh yeah, the point of this story was that it was a light-colored wrapper.

TampaSupremo

I was in real bad traffic a couple months ago and got off the freeway and found a smoke shop. I wandered past all the hookas and glass pipes (those of you from Cali know what I mean) I saw a Java and smoked it on the way home
Ditto on the sweet flavor with the Java. I also found it very soft.
The only cigar that has truly kicked my arse so far was Partigas Black WOW!

This goes to show how we are all different

I would blame it on the fact that you were smoking a Java by Rocky Patel and Drew Estate and not the fact that it was a maduro. It seems to be a common misnomer to some that wrapper color indicates strength. I always hear guys on my beer forums talking about needing a much bigger beer to handle the "strength of the maduro" when in my experience, more often than not, just the opposite is true.
I agree with Jonas. I smoke a lot of Maduros's, most, thinking about it, are on an empty stomach.

Brian

I've had similar experiences with all wrappers, but the one that did me the worst was an LFD Coronado. I got it free at an LFD event. I ate some beforehand and then lit up. I was warned that it was strong, but I didn't feel it until about halfway through. I started sweatin' like a fool and wasn't sure if I was going to crap myself or hork up on my buddy. I made it through the event with my dignity intact, but just barely.

TampaSupremo

My first Coronado (Double Toro I belive...) kicked my arse as well! I remember commenting on how great of a cigar it was... then laying on the bed with the ceiling fan on high asking myself, "WTF!"

Needless to say, in about a half hour and a bottle of water I was able to make it to the kitchen to get down something sweet. Taught me a lesson about smoking something so stout on an empty stomach... in the Texas summer heat none the less...

mac... still feeling a bit green from that one...

About 14 years ago, I smoked a Hoyo De Monterrey Rothchild maduro maduro.

They were so black and sticky with oil the cigars were stuck together.

Whooped my ass!

Last one I ever smoked.

I just recently smoked a Oliva Serie "V" 6 x 60 and it kicked my butt something nasty... It had been awhile since i had a smoke do that, i have been smoking for over 10 years. :blush:

I remember a while back I had the LFD DL Chisel maduro....never had once since...that one definitely got my head spinning.

Smoke a Camacho Triple Maduro 6/60 quickly and I'm reasonably sure anyone would get their ass kicked.

TampaSupremo

I remember talking to you and wondering why you looked flush. :laugh:

-Mark

I had a bad experience with a LFD Coronado too. I power smoked a Double Toro on an empty stomach. The wrapper was light colored so I thought it can't be that strong. Halfway through I quickly realized how strong it was, so I slowed down and grabbed a sugar drink. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I took it down to an inch. Towards the end I was getting the shakes. Needless to say, I had to lay down after the smoke.

So it doesn't have to be a Maduro to be an ass-kicker!

I haven't had one really kick my arse yet, but that Opus #5 caught me off guard. Luckily there was some sugar close by to stop it from getting bad. Though nothing has really got me yet, I have only been smoking cigars for seven months now, and I know that eventually I will have one do it. As a matter of fact the LFD Double Ligero 700 that I have in the humi will be the one to do it if I had to guess one.
B