• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why bugout bags aren't really just for nutjobs...

I got through about the first 30 years of my life without a cell phone so I think I could manage a few weeks without it. As for a survival bag, mine would have about 25 cigars and 2 bottles of a good tequila. How much would that weigh?

Charley said:
I got through about the first 30 years of my life without a cell phone so I think I could manage a few weeks without it. As for a survival bag, mine would have about 25 cigars and 2 bottles of a good tequila. How much would that weigh?
In other words, Charley is the bartering type!

I'll let you in with our group. Just provide your usual comic relief and let me have a nip of that booze once in a while!

Here in NE it's all about the spring storms. We have a tornadoe kit that I put in the room we go to and I add a large demolition type crow bar and such in case we have to leverage stuff or break down walls to get out.

Great read guys. I have been thinking about this for some time. I have buddy who I think is quietly a prepper. Makes his own laundry detergent, keeps his ammo stock heavy, runs his truck off of vegetable oil, etc. At the end of the day...even living in an urban setting...having some preparations is not such a bad idea. Thanks for all the lists and ideas. 

SiriusBlack said:
Great read guys. I have been thinking about this for some time. I have buddy who I think is quietly a prepper. Makes his own laundry detergent, keeps his ammo stock heavy, runs his truck off of vegetable oil, etc. At the end of the day...even living in an urban setting...having some preparations is not such a bad idea. Thanks for all the lists and ideas. 
For me, there's a difference between a "prepper" (IE, the weirdoes on the TV show), and someone who is prepared. It used to be standard to do homesteading. Modern conveniences have erased the need to most folks to know how to do things like gardening, raising their own food, leather work, etc. The "just in time" grocery deliveries at the supermarkets to ensure maximum profits and food freshness also attributed to this. Personally, while I enjoy my Xbox, iPhone, kindle, internet, etc, I've been trying to learn simple skills such as canning, home repairs, etc. It saves you money, and makes a big difference in your sense of satisfaction with life. At least, it does for me.

I'd love to learn how to hunt, do leatherwork, black smithing, sewing, woodworking, stuff like that. My wife will probably kill me though, she already thinks I have a lot of hobbies!

For you home owners there is an easy way to have an emergency kit available.  I use a plastic garbage can and have it filled with a few gallons of water jugs and canned food on the bottom and some clothes in those vacuum bags, a sleeping bag and crumpled up newspaper on top to make it look like trash. Nobody is going to steal a full trash can in my area.  The can is water proof and the weight keeps it from being blown over. It just sits outside with the other cans.  Works for me.

I keep a pretty good size bug out bag in the car. Water filtration, solar panel for small electronics, good, water, fire stuff, emergency blanket, small bolt cutters, water faucet hex wrench. It's more of an urban bug out bag which is useful for the areas I'm in.

Just my take...

The gas mask is going to be a bit problematic. Much better to avoid those areas and low spots since any exposed or wet skin is going to cause significant issues.
I would consider adding the following for communication and creature comfort... Can't let a Earthquake stop you from Crushing Candy

Solar Charging Station

I was a pre-teen the last time that California had large earthquake, were as with Sandy and Katrina I watched the 24 hour news coverage just like everyone else.  The major problem in those two were flooding, which I don't recall reading about in the 1992 earthquakes.

Gary's idea with the trash can is excellent. Do you have a storage unit? How about friends/family that live close?  Storage units can get a bit pricey, but if you have one close, they are an ideal place to locate a stockpile of supplies.  The ones around here are single story sheet metal structures and would pose no danger even if they collapsed on your horde.

In your situation, my primary objective would be to survive until help got to me. The bug-out-bag is a good start, but I would look at places that I could stash some extra food, water and tools.

ETA: If you are looking into hunting I would focus on snares.  Easy and cheap to make and really effective with a little bit of knowledge

Breedy said:
Just my take...

The gas mask is going to be a bit problematic. Much better to avoid those areas and low spots since any exposed or wet skin is going to cause significant issues.
I would consider adding the following for communication and creature comfort... Can't let a Earthquake stop you from Crushing Candy

Solar Charging Station

I was a pre-teen the last time that California had large earthquake, were as with Sandy and Katrina I watched the 24 hour news coverage just like everyone else.  The major problem in those two were flooding, which I don't recall reading about in the 1992 earthquakes.

Gary's idea with the trash can is excellent. Do you have a storage unit? How about friends/family that live close?  Storage units can get a bit pricey, but if you have one close, they are an ideal place to locate a stockpile of supplies.  The ones around here are single story sheet metal structures and would pose no danger even if they collapsed on your horde.

In your situation, my primary objective would be to survive until help got to me. The bug-out-bag is a good start, but I would look at places that I could stash some extra food, water and tools.
ETA: If you are looking into hunting I would focus on snares.  Easy and cheap to make and really effective with a little bit of knowledge
Thanks Breedy!

Yeah, it's more or less just have and not need, not need and reaaaaaalllly wish I had, haha! We are issued military grade NBC masks at work, but the wife doesn't have one. Maybe some cheap tyvek suits would be good. Dunno.

As for the bags, we more or less plan on staying home unless our home is leveled by am earthquake or things are really bad for whatever reason. The chances for that are slim, but the likely hood of a large enough quake to knock out power or a good old fashioned california summer power blackout is high.

I've been looking at solar chargers for the phones. Anyone have the Joos? Seems to be pretty sweet. Heavy, but in a quality way.

Also going to go buy some regular old board games, and I have tons of books.

Sure it would, although you might have to change the canned food every year instead of every 3 like I do.

AVB said:
Sure it would, although you might have to change the canned food every year instead of every 3 like I do.
Sorry was reading it on my phone and I don't know what I was thinking.

MRE's work well, as do pretty much any of the "survival food" brands that have popped up. The only issue I have with them are a lot of calories are carbs and other junk. I would add a cans of tuna or other meats. Walmart stocks Keystone brand and it really isn't as bad as you would expected canned meat to be.