• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Why it's good to check your tires or

grateful1

Oh My!
So, about a month ago my tire's low on air.
The bike hasn't been driven much this summer - for various reasons.
I figure - ok fill it up and keep an eye on it..prolly the stem.

A week later (only rode it 2 times that week), I'm at the dealer with a passenger, to schedule a service...and my tires a little low. Now I already scanned the sidewalls and still figure..I'll have them pull it and check.

I ride home and a couple days later I bring it in for service. 2 days later I'm passing by the shop and stop in to check on things....the Tech said I have a 'chunk' out of the tire.

I'm like - ok....he said you should take a look. OMG! The 2 tech's and the service guy all said...."I've never seen this before."
I'm in shock:

Tireissue.jpg

Needless to say - with less than 7k on the tire - Harley and Dunlop replaced the tire 'gratis'.
Funny - when the tech called Dunlop, the ONLY question they had was:"What's the manufacture date."

Now, I got the tire on 10/04 from another dealer..so, it's at least that old....wonder if Dunlop had a PROBLEM! :angry:

All is well...thank goodness!

Scary binnez man!!

Not that my tires ever get a chance to get old, I'll replace 'em in about 3 years no matter what.

Glad it's OK now, but wow!!

thats very scary....glad nothing serious happened and the tire was free

Wild! I've lost both front and rear, survived both having avoided giving up blood, skin, or paint samples. It ain't fun.

That is scary.
Shoudl serve as a reminder to us all to smoke the good ones, as ya never know...

I don't ride so I can't even imagine a blow-out on a bike? How the hell do you survive one?!

That is scary.
Shoudl serve as a reminder to us all to smoke the good ones, as ya never know...

I don't ride so I can't even imagine a blow-out on a bike? How the hell do you survive one?!

:rolleyes: You turn blue, wear a red hat and smoke a stogie! :rolleyes:

Damn! I can't believe you couldn't feel that!

Glad it all worked out!

I'm glad to see that they found the problem Gary before something serious happened to you. Definitely a time to smoke a good one in thanks....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

:0

Glad that got found before it caused any problems.

Think I'll check my tires when I get home.

From one rider to another, I know exactly the relief you felt to find that problem sooner rather than later. I'd be grateful1 as well!

That is scary.

Mat Mladin rode out a blowout a couple years ago at Road Atlanta going 170 mph when he lost the rear tire!

I for one, am glad things turned out so well!

This one's for you G-ster!

Tha could have been really bad...I'm surprised the replaced it for free. My back tires usually only last 6000 to 7000 miles.

That is scary.

:rolleyes: You turn blue, wear a red hat and smoke a stogie! :rolleyes:

Both of mine were kind of "blowouts". Its kind of hard to describe. At highway speed, centrifugal force maintains tire shape. I didn't notice the rear one at all till I slowed enough for the tire to collapse. Then, it was like when you're on a badly rutted road. The front one was much the same, like someone let some of my fork air out. Luckily, I figured it out before the tire collapsed. The road had a soft shoulder, so I grabbed it just as the tire collapsed. I've never had one on a bike as heavy as Gary's Harley. I'd guess the centrifugal rules are quite as well written for that much weight.

Yea that thing must have been vinbrating like mad. Glad to hear no one got hurt and they replaced it for free.