• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wine Bottle Sizes

The Volusianator

Tick Tock
Other than odd shaped wine bottles, are most wine bottles the same size? I have something I want to try and build that's wine related, not being a wine drinker I just don't know the size of the bottles. Is it safe to say that most wine bottles would fit in a container that's say 14 1/2" in length and 4" in diameter?

bottleblank.jpg

Sizes for comparison.

Shapes vary drastically, but the volumes for sizes are standardized.

Thanks for the link, but it really didn't give me any answers to my question.

Well then you need to be more specific with your question.

MOST certainlly not ALL standard 750 ml wine bottles are 12" high, some are more.

As far as your question about a container that is 14 1/2" long, do you mean an INSIDE or OUTSIDE dimension of your container, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Being a woodworker, I'm sure you understand this. ;)

Well then you need to be more specific with your question.
Is it safe to say that most wine bottles would fit in a container that's say 14 1/2" in length and 4" in diameter?
I thought that would cover it.

As far as your question about a container that is 14 1/2" long, do you mean an INSIDE or OUTSIDE dimension of your container, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Being a woodworker, I'm sure you understand this. ;)
LOL, ok, inside dimensions! Thanks Bill

My longest 750 ml bottle is 13" by 3" so that fits. All the others are shorter and no wider then 3 1/2" so they would fit too. The wooden boxes I bought are are 13.25x4.25" outside dimensions. Pic of one holding a 700ml Glen Grant bottle.

Glen%20Grant%201956.JPG

There are decorative tubes that are sold as gift boxes for bottles of wine. Measure one of those...I'm sure they're made to fit most wine bottles.

:thumbs:

Generally, Riesling and Gewurtztraminer are in taller, slightly more slender bottles than "regular" wine bottle shapes.

I know this because the damned things are a pain to fit in my wine refrigerator. :angry:

Perhaps this link will help: Bottle Shapes

Other than odd shaped wine bottles, are most wine bottles the same size? I have something I want to try and build that's wine related, not being a wine drinker I just don't know the size of the bottles. Is it safe to say that most wine bottles would fit in a container that's say 14 1/2" in length and 4" in diameter?

One of the most aggravating things about storing a wine collection "is" the different shaped bottles, not sizes but the shapes. A Pinot Noir bottle shape is ususally quite different from a Cabernet Sauvignon bottle shape and so on, I wont even get started on a Riesling bottle shape. My cellar has ~4" spaces and there are a few bottles that won't fit but most do and for many it's a little too tight, labels get torn. An inside length of 14 1/2" should acomodate almost all bottles.

:cool:

One of the most aggravating things about storing a wine collection "is" the different shaped bottles, not sizes but the shapes. A Pinot Noir bottle shape is ususally quite different from a Cabernet Sauvignon bottle shape and so on, I wont even get started on a Riesling bottle shape. My cellar has ~4" diameter spaces and there are a few bottles that won't fit but most do and for many it's a little too tight, labels get torn. An inside length of 14 1/2" should acomodate almost all bottles.

:cool:
Perfect, thank you!