• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winter storage sugestions?

martinman

Hi Everyone,

The summer months wern't to much of a problem - 65% humidity and 68-72 degrees wasn't difficult to acheive. As we move in fall, I'm finding almost impossible to get the same results. Currently, the humi is at 66deg w/ 60% humidity. I've pulled it out of the basement, and now it's on the main floor of the house, but this doesn't seem to be helping much.

Do you still keep your humidor in the basement during the winter? How often do you full your bead tube? BTW, I have a 100ct, use beads (in 2 locations in the box) and have a digital humi in the box.

Any suggestions?

mm

wow sorry can't help you at all. Mine is sitting at 67 hum. and 69 deg. sits like that all year. Any reason why your humi isn't sealing correctly now?

Temp isnt as important is humidity really...as long as your keeping it at 70 degrees or under, your golden. The key here is keeping the proper and steady RH...order yourself some beads from viper(heartfelt) and you will no longer have problems with your RH issues. They absorb and release moisture as needed to maintain a steady and proper RH inside your humidor even with temp fluctuations.

I have heartfelt beads in there now. Just recharged them, we'll see what it does.

Here in Michigan, we have wild swings in weather - today it's 55deg outside last week, almost 80 deg. Humidity is just as crazy. We've gone from having the heat on at night to windows open during the day. So, at this time, it's almost impossible to keep a regular temp. inside of the house much less humidity.

I'm under the assumption that a humi/beads can't compensate for these type of temperature swings?

I don't think there are any sealing problems - I hear the gush of air when I open it. Plus, the humi is full of sticks.

mm

Your humidor / coolidor /tuppidor should be a closed system, with a seal that inhibits changes from the house's humidity increases and decreases to adversly effect the humidor conditions. Do the flashlight test with a small MagLite: place the flashlight inside your humidor and see if you can see any light escaping in a darken room.

Yes, sounds like your beads need to be "recharged" - mist them with distilled water or put a small container of distilled water in your set up for a few days to allow the beads to find their range.

It's been holding at 60%-62% for the past week. I haven't recharged the beads for several weeks (at least 4). Maybe it's just me - I had a humi last year that had a bad seal.. So, the winter months didn't go to well. I guess I'm assuming I'll have similar problems.

I just recharged them today. I'll give it a couple days. Maybe I just need to put the distilled in there and let it take it's time? Can I keep my sticks in there while I'l doing this?

thanks again!!

mm

Temperature is something you have to be proactive about before the problem developes. Before the hottest part of the year, put your humidor on a low shelf in a closet with no exterior walls, in a temperature controlled room with an A/C or in the cool basement.

MilesMingusMonk said:
Temperature is something you have to be proactive about before the problem developes. Before the hottest part of the year, put your humidor on a low shelf in a closet with no exterior walls, in a temperature controlled room with an A/C or in the cool basement.
[snapback]240868[/snapback]​

Yep. I learned that the hard way. My wife has seen me frantically moving my humi in the basement this past summer. Turns out, the most regular temp was on a shelf about a foot off the ground in the basement. Humidity was jus about perfect. I trying to avoid the same type of behavior in the winter :)

martinman said:
It's been holding at 60%-62% for the past week. I haven't recharged the beads for several weeks (at least 4).

That very well could be your problem...if i dont give mine a little bit of water every 3 weeks or so, the RH will drop pretty quickly. This goes especially true for my humidors that get opened on a daily basis!

If you don't mind me asking what type of humi do you have, conventional humi, coolidor, tupperware container? just wondering as it might help to better understand whats going on with your rh fluctuations :)

martinman said:
MilesMingusMonk said:
[snapback]240868[/snapback]​

Yep. I learned that the hard way. My wife has seen me frantically moving my humi in the basement this past summer. Turns out, the most regular temp was on a shelf about a foot off the ground in the basement. Humidity was jus about perfect. I trying to avoid the same type of behavior in the winter :)
[snapback]240870[/snapback]​

I think things are under control now. I turned the heat on in the house, and it's at a constant 69 degrees. Humitidy is right around 65%.

Before, the house temp was anywhere from 58 (yikes!) to 66 -- the only regulation was windows. It seems like if I keep the temperature around 68-72, the 65% humidity is easy to achieve. Anyone else have these issues?

BTW, humi is sealed, but outside temperature has a big effect... I assume that this is normal given the relationship between temperature and humidity?

mm

Currently I have my Oregon Scientific hygrometers in three of my humidors. The two downstairs show it as being 60 degrees / 69% RH for one, and 61 degrees/70 %RH

Upstairs where its a bit warmer I have 61.3 degrees/71 % RH and 63.5 degrees/70% RH.

Each of my humidors has a good seal (not a perfect WHOOSH sound, but the humidity is held rather stable). At first I was finding that the change in temps changed the humidity by at least 2 -3 %. With two of the 4 humidors downstairs things are a bit easier to manage. The humidors upstairs are easily managed by keeping the temps at 62 degrees.

Darren

crap.. Well, these goes my theory.

I'll give it more time to recharge and stablize.