• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Woodworkers, please view

fca_blake70

After recently graduating I find myself with empty pockets and a need for an ash tray. Pops had some old boards lying around so I decided to try my hand at woodwork. Ran it through the planer and just went to town. It's amateur at best compared to the quality of work I've seen on CP but it does the job. I clear-coated a few bands to the bottom just to add some of my own personality to it. Had some concern as to whether the bands would get scorched by the cigars but it has held up well so far. It's my first project I've tackled solo so I'd love to hear critiques and advice.

4787078696_09ea060ea3_m.jpg

4787078092_c80ed3512d_m.jpg

4786446213_227b6ab8b8_m.jpg

Looks really good. What kind of clearcoat did you use over the labels? Is the wood treated with anything?

The wood is treated with a walnut stain and then a waterproof coat. I actually just used puzzle glue to set the bands. I put a liberal layer down and just gave it a few days to level out and dry on its own...it's done pretty well so far. And like I said, burning through the coat hasn't become an issue (yet).

I wonder if there's any type glass that wont stain or burn that you can put on top of the bands, So you won't have to worry about burning them. Then again I don't know if a cigar cherry get's hot enough to do damage to glass ???

First, the tray looks great, more so when you get the approval of Souldog, as he has done a major project like this.

As far a glass goes, tempered glass could easily handle the heat. Not Lowe's or HD, but a glass shop and that should serve you well. Glass will not stain. It likely will get burned on soot, but you just use water with some of the aches to wash over it and you are set to go.

Looking good brother, keep us posted.

If you look closely at the second and third pictures you can see that I actually cut grooves for glass. It just looks decorative now, but the glass wouldn't be hard to put in. That may be the route I have to go if the bands start to show damage.

Thanks for all the support and advice guys.

What a neat idea! How does it hold up if you accidentally drop the red not ash instead of standard ashes?

I wonder if there's any type glass that wont stain or burn that you can put on top of the bands, So you won't have to worry about burning them. Then again I don't know if a cigar cherry get's hot enough to do damage to glass ???

Got bored one time and took a thermometer to a tip of a cigar. The highest reading was 400 degrees F while puffing on the cigar and then it didn't read a temperature after peaking at 400. So pretty hot. :laugh:

Got bored one time and took a thermometer to a tip of a cigar. The highest reading was 400 degrees F while puffing on the cigar and then it didn't read a temperature after peaking at 400. So pretty hot. :laugh:

Though I don't know this for certain, I expect tobacco to burn somewhat cooler than paper which has a combustion temperature of about 450 degrees Centigrade, or 842 degrees Fahrenheit.

Nice looking oak; I'd share a smoke with you. Hope to see more wood creations.