• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Would you open a B&M

Bkatz87

So, my B&M is extremely successful. Being in Cali, the prices are crazy. Having a B&M that grosses a very nice number also leads to some expensive sticks. (BTW I am curious about what your B&M takes in a year. If you know, PM me, and I will share what my friend and owner just did). Anyway, sometimes the markup can be 100% MSRP. If you had the knowledge and money, would you open your own store? It's amazing how many tricks there are to juice cold hard cash. Many distributors wont print receipts for a % of what you buy from them (no taxes) :whistling: . Of course you can run back room game as well. Obviously the ability is there to make a ton of money. Would you roll the dice? Those accounts with Davidoff are expensive after all :laugh:

Personally, I believe making a friend with a fellow cigar smoker is an amazing experience. The experiences I have had at my B&M hold a special place. The friends I have made are priceless. As an added bonus, business networking is always a possibility. To own a store would a dream. What would you do with the $250,000 (Assuming you have major distributor accounts?)

*Edit - Sorry for the wrong forum. I was browsing in here and I got lost in the idea. Meant to be in lobby.

Nope...I absolutely would not open one. Because of the taxes and further taxation that will be applied on it so the SCHIP bill once signed will have its money for children insurance which also covers upto a family income of $88,000 a year. So I will step off my soap box now and walk into the sunset pissed. :sign:

Nah why bother? I can just sell smokes here for 2x msrp to guys that don't know any better. Right?

So, my B&M is extremely successful. Being in Cali, the prices are crazy. Having a B&M that grosses a very nice number also leads to some expensive sticks. (BTW I am curious about what your B&M takes in a year. If you know, PM me, and I will share what my friend and owner just did). Anyway, sometimes the markup can be 100% MSRP. If you had the knowledge and money, would you open your own store? It's amazing how many tricks there are to juice cold hard cash. Many distributors wont print receipts for a % of what you buy from them (no taxes) :whistling: . Of course you can run back room game as well. Obviously the ability is there to make a ton of money. Would you roll the dice? Those accounts with Davidoff are expensive after all :laugh:

Are you advocating the questionable business practices you outline above?

I wouldn't touch the tobacco business with a 10 foot pole.

I certainly wouldn't run a business as unethically as you've outlined. Why risk losing it all for just a few more dollars?

Are you advocating the questionable business practices you outline above?

Not at all. I was just putting facts on the table. I dont advocate illegal methods of conducting ones self. I should have been more clear. My intentions are not to run a shady operation. My question was knowing what you know, would you run a shop. Ethics of practice are up to the individual.

In reality...If I owned a Cigar shop or even ran it, I would just smoke my $$$ away even more than I do. I mean I love retirement and all. But to actually work or own something like a Cigar shop would be very dangerous. :laugh:

It's long been a dream of mine to own my own shop. Given today's economy I'm not sure I'd rather own a shop or just hang onto the $250k...

No. First, i would never want to be my own boss, I dont have the vision that i think a boss needs. Second, the tobacco/cigar industry is just going to get fucked with more and more, and I dont need that stress. What i would do with that chunck of change is go to the Spearmint Rhino in Vegas and have one hell of a fun time.

Hell to the no. I'd rather be a cigar roller :whistling:

Yes! Most definately - I would find a way to deal with SCHIP and try not to pass it off to the customers as best I could. However having thought doing it in the past, I would most likely make it a cigar bar...there is only 1 decent one in Pittsburgh that I have been able to find.
My .02 cents...

~ t

Yep, sure would. But not with dreams of raking in the cash.

There's a small, absolutely Rockwellian little town about three hours from me, La Grange, Texas. Old fashioned courthouse square surrounded by shops and storefronts that haven't been all gentrified and cutesied up yet. There's actually a Rex-All Drug and a boot shop and a barber shop and a custom butcher!

La Grange is surrounded by other small towns, one of which hosts one of the biggest antiques fairs in the country twice a year: Round Top.

The area's beautiful. Lots of great back roads and popular with RUBs and HOG and such, but still very small town Americana.

I'd love to open a cigar shop on that courthouse square, with a smoking lounge upstairs, and just enjoy the peace and quiet. :love:

~Boar

I would take that $250,000 and employ the Fuentes to roll me an Opus/Anejo collection that would make Moki cry.

Yep, sure would. But not with dreams of raking in the cash.

There's a small, absolutely Rockwellian little town about three hours from me, La Grange, Texas. Old fashioned courthouse square surrounded by shops and storefronts that haven't been all gentrified and cutesied up yet. There's actually a Rex-All Drug and a boot shop and a barber shop and a custom butcher!

La Grange is surrounded by other small towns, one of which hosts one of the biggest antiques fairs in the country twice a year: Round Top.

The area's beautiful. Lots of great back roads and popular with RUBs and HOG and such, but still very small town Americana.

I'd love to open a cigar shop on that courthouse square, with a smoking lounge upstairs, and just enjoy the peace and quiet.

Except for the Texas part, exactly my thoughts. When I retire from the military, this is what I want. The wife can run the bed and breakfast, I'll run the cigar store and smoking lounge/bar... :thumbs:

I would love to, certainly don't have the knowledge but I always have ideas at each store about how I would make it better. As with all things, there are legal ways around anything govt. throws at you. Old friend of mine owns and runs one in Omaha and is way better off than my dumb ass.

Wife and I were just talking about this last night. When/if I ever retire, I would have liked to own a cigar shop. She has these fantasies of owning/operating a winery and said I could open a cigar shop along w/ the winery, LOL.

In reality, there would be no way I'd do it now, with the forthcoming taxes. Unless the B&M has other things it sells, I don't think it would be very profitable. But then again, I'd skip in to work each and every day, instead of skipping home each and every day now.

Many distributors wont print receipts for a % of what you buy from them (no taxes) :whistling: . Of course you can run back room game as well.

Where did you get this from? There isn't one distributor or manufacturer that would risk their tobacco license to do this. If your "friend" told you this, I would be willing to bet that he's full of chit. Tobacco is one of the most regulated industries out there, and accomplishing this is more trouble than it's really worth.

Personally, I believe making a friend with a fellow cigar smoker is an amazing experience. The experiences I have had at my B&M hold a special place. The friends I have made are priceless. As an added bonus, business networking is always a possibility. To own a store would a dream. What would you do with the $250,000 (Assuming you have major distributor accounts?)

*Edit - Sorry for the wrong forum. I was browsing in here and I got lost in the idea. Meant to be in lobby.

If you're thinking of opening a B&M, I would advise against it.