• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WOW! I Suck at that

Based on the scores you posted, I have a bit of advice. Fish. Only kidding - Lessons and plenty of practice from 50 yds in. Don't even try to practice the driver until you spend several hours chipping and putting.

Golf is a very difficult/frustrating game. Once you hit that one really good shot during the round, it seems to make it all worth it. Get a proper grip/alignment and practice the shot game and you will be amazed at how fast the scores will come down.

Good Luck, you will need it. :sign:

I used to suck at golf 'til I read your scores! :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, keep playing and practicing, eventually you'll get better. Work on your long AND short game. Don't go to the range without hitting 100/75/50/25 yd shots. Practice putting and chipping. I play with old guys that can't hit a driver 150 yds but manage to shoot in the 70's. These guys have wicked short games, it's not all distance.

I'm an 18 handicap, I suck at golf but I still enjoy the game.

I agree with a lot of what has been said so far. Don’t give up it may get better someday. Golf can be a lot of fun at any level. Savor the good shots and strive to reduce the repeat bad shots. A stroke is a stroke whether it is 3 in or 300 yards. I am going through the same thing with a couple of my children who have decided they would like to learn golf. The first thing I did was to find the best “teaching pro” in the area and sign up for a package of lessons over a short period of time. The pro should work on the basics and get some semblance of a swing. Then he recommended they work on the swing without him and come back after a few practice sessions for further swing coaching. So far the kids have taken 2 lessons and have practiced 3 times since the last lesson. I am not sure they need to go back just yet.

My wife took some lessons at the local community college and they provided a lot of range time and some support from the teacher. She hasn’t wished to play since, so I got the kids a package from the local pro. The best local teaching pro is not always the most expensive by the way. You may even be able to get a deal from him/her if you and a buddy or 2 sign up together.
It is hard to overcome the frustration by yourself and rather than just give up on golf have a positive mental approach that it is recreational and just for fun. All of my golfing pals believe the most important 6 inches in golf is that which lies between your ears.

Here are a couple of my favorite funny little golf videos, some of which you may have seen before if so I apologize for the redundancy.

Proper way to.......

J C Anderson swing thought

In post #20 I said to learn some of the basics and work on them before you take lessons; let me explain. If you take lessons now it will be a waste of time for both you and the teacher unless he teaches you simple fundamentals and not many pros do that.

I also said to "never take the advice of amateurs"; let me explain. All of us amateur golfers have that one thing that works for us and we tend to try to make it work for everybody. It is probably bad (incorrect) advice but even if it isn't it is most likely not valuable advice to you.

Learn to practice and play with the proper stance and posture, feet roughly shoulder distance apart and all parts of your front (chest, shoulders, hips, knees, feet) perpendicular to the target. Place a club on the ground touching both toes and step away to see where it it is pointing.

Read the link in post #20

In post #20 I said to learn some of the basics and work on them before you take lessons; let me explain. If you take lessons now it will be a waste of time for both you and the teacher unless he teaches you simple fundamentals and not many pros do that.

I also said to "never take the advice of amateurs"; let me explain. All of us amateur golfers have that one thing that works for us and we tend to try to make it work for everybody. It is probably bad (incorrect) advice but even if it isn't it is most likely not valuable advice to you.

Learn to practice and play with the proper stance and posture, feet roughly shoulder distance apart and all parts of your front (chest, shoulders, hips, knees, feet) perpendicular to the target. Place a club on the ground touching both toes and step away to see where it it is pointing.

Link read. Anyone else who is starting to golf and reading this post should go read that one.

And I am pretty much doing what you and others here have advised. I do like the posture test you put forward here, and will definately being trying that come Saturday or Sunday.

Oh, BTW. If there are any members in Upstate SC/Northeast GA that want a good laugh this weekend (Provided Hanna allows me to) I will be hitting the driving range and Par 3 course located in Walhalla, SC. Don't know which day yet, but I try to get to the course around 11 or 11:30.

Doug

A lot of people have given sound advice and tips. Here's one more thing that I don't believe anybody has mentioned yet - join a league. Yes, you are good enough. A league will 'force' you to golf on a regular basis. Otherwise it's all too easy, as inconceivable as it might seem, to blow off or miss a week or two of playing. A league will also introduce you to a whole new set of people with a common interest, kinda like CP but with better scenery (other than an occasional LINKY or two).

........If you take lessons now it will be a waste of time for both you and the teacher unless he teaches you simple fundamentals and not many pros do that.

I think my "blank slates" have benefitted from the lessons. After 2 lessons they have learned the basic grip, posture, stance and swing. They each have good grips, stance and swing plane. The pro was told to only teach the basics of the golf swing and knew up front that they were green. The correct pro with an understanding of the simple fundamentals is essential and just as important as the knowledge is the ability to effectively communicate those things to the student...at the student's level. Many do not have the ability to do what is required and there is no magic bullet they each possess, rather, the proper and in-depth research to find the right pro is essential. Also, the student (or parent in my case) must communicate clear expectations they have for process.

Todays rounds:

Played two rounds today, one at my regular Par 3 course, one was the back nine at a local golf residential community's course that may become my "home" course, if for no other reason then it is less than 2 miles from my house.

Scores:

Par 3 (10 Holes, Par 30) - 56 (+26)
Falcon's Lair (9 Holes, Par 37) - 65(+28)

Not too bad for my level really. I was especially pleased with two of the holes at Falcon's Lair where I came in at bogey.

Strengths:

Putting - All day I never had to do more than 3-putt once on the green. Mostly 2-putts, but I had a couple of 1-putts
Judgment - knowing when not to "go for it" and lay up a little so I can avoid the water or sand

Weaknesses:

Tee-off - still not getting all I can from the tee box. Driver is at about 150-160 yards.
Final approach - need to work on power judgement and application. Missed par and bogey a couple of times due to over-shooting the green on what should have been my last shot before putting.
Slicing - I still have quite the bad little slice, sometimes doing a full 90 degree turn to the right.

I was lucky enough to grow up with a golf course in the family and i think i can always use improvement. I'm not a pro by any means but i can hold my own, but at times i still think i suck.

As a word of wisdom , get some lessons, it will do you some good as they did me.