• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wrapper burn isues

thevalkrye

uhh huh huh huh...member.
The last 8 or 10 smokes I have had have all had problems with tunneling. The wrapper doesn't want to burn as fast as the filler. I keep 3 different humidors two at 65 and one at 60. The issues seem to come from all of them. Cubans, non-Cubans, coronas, robustos, lanceros all of them.

I have had certain cigars with that problem in the past but lately it has gotten worse to the point of frustration. If I double puff the cigar every few draws the wrapper tends to stay burning but other than that it will almost always tunnel. Double puffing that much heats up my cigar and makes it bitter. I am losing out on enjoyment of my cigars because I have to tend them so much when I am smoking one.

Why don't they want to stay burning? I keep new cigars for weeks sometimes months in their new homes before setting fire to them so they should be stabilized. My humidors are all controller with beads and have accurate hygrometers in them.

Is it just the way I smoke? Do I need to be more aggressive drawing from them? Is it the colder weather here? Help this sucks! I just want to enjoy a cigar sipping delicious smoke from it, not sucking the hell out of it and not touching it up every 5 puffs.

I am tempted to try dry boxing a few and see what that does, but I really don't want to have to do that. I just want to go and choose what cigar I will smoke when I feel like it, not planing out two days in advance.

Boveda Calibration Kits. Checked against each other as well as being accurate to the beads in each respective cooler. I calibrate instruments as part of my job so I am confident that the humidity is accurate.

Sounds like a humidity issue to me, but if you're confident in your hygrometers' accuracy then I'm not sure what the issue may be. I assume you're fully lighting the foot on the initial light.

Only thing I can suggest is to make sure you're toasting around the edges of your cigar when you light it.

That is, don't just blast the middle with the lighter and puff, ensure that the wrapper is lit and there's that little line of orange and red around it.

Also, consider taking a double puff after you ash, instead of every few draws, to ensure that the wrapper is still adequately lit after the ash drops.

Hope this helps buddy! I'm not sure that dry boxing will help anything, but I suppose if you're willing to risk some cigars in the name of science, go for it! (just post the results here so we all benefit!).

Good luck!

Im with those guys. I would think that its got to be an outside problem. It would be rare to have all those different cigars all with the same problem. That's the kind of luck I would have.

More info is needed.

Do you use beads? What type of storage device? Humidor, coolerdor? How long ago did you calibrate?

It does sound like a humidification problem. This time of year the weather gets drier in our climate. Opening and shutting the humi too much can be an issue. From what you describe, the wrapper is more moist than the filler as if the RH went up recently.

Coolers with beads. Hygrometers were last calibrated in September. I only go in them to either put in new smokes or take out one to smoke. I have gotten past the stage of having to look in them 5 times a day.

It has gotten drier here with winter, but my humidors are still maintaining humidity no problem. It is drier outside when I smoke, but that should be the opposite problem as the wrapper would be drying out no? It is colder outside, I am not sure if that plays a role.

I am going to smoke a Padron or Illusione next because I know they almost always burn good for me and see what happens.

I had another thought. Has anything changed in the immediate environment lately? Are the coolers near a vent or heater? If this is a recen tdevelopment, it's logical to assume something has changed, perhaps seasonal.

Also, do you have a fan in any storage devices? If not, you may want to put more beads and at differenty levels. 65% beads are great for keeping cigars at a smokable RH but it doesn't leave much leeway for error. If it's 65% at the bottom it may be 63% at the top. People with cabinets notice this even more and usually use fans to distribute RH and/or beads on different levels.

How often do you open the coolers and dig through boxes to find the cigar you want? After each time the RH must eqilibrate again. I use a Hydra in the winter to help bring the RH up more quickly AND a second fan hooked to it to even out the RH more quickly. But if you ever decide to get one, get the normal sized one nstead of the small one. It is MUCH better! ;)

Steve

Just a heads-up to let you know that Heartfelt has Oust Fans for about $13 that MAY be part of your solution. IF your problem has anything to do with unevenly distributed RH.

This time of year the weather gets drier in our climate. Opening and shutting the humi too much can be an issue. From what you describe, the wrapper is more moist than the filler as if the RH went up recently.

With 3 Nor'easters in the past month, my humis are barely
keeping steady, and that's with more beads than recommended.
They haven't started to dry out, so no need to add water, yet.
I wish these 5-6 day storms would just go away!

Chemyst :cool:

If the cigars you've been smoking recently are all from the same box perhaps you got a bad box... Maybe the roller was a new guy. ???

Oops, nevermind. I see that it is with all of your cigars. BUMMER! :(