• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

X Games 13 thread

IgwanaRob

I'm just 2 people short of a threesome
Jake Brown is the toughest/luckiest man alive, and he probably shouldn't be. He drops in from the 80 foot high ramp, launches over the 70 foot wide gap while spinning 720 degrees (2 full turns with the skateboard) and lands perfectly on the other side. After landing one of the sickest tricks ever, he lost control going up the 27 foot high quarter-pipe on the big-air mega ramp, momentum carried him off course and towards the middle of the ramp as he went up another 19 feet above the ramp - eventually falling 46 feet straight down to the bottom of the ramp with a lifeless thud. Watching it live, I honestly thought he was dead on impact, as did most people.

Jake Brown falls nearly 50 feet, and not only lives - he friggin walked off the ramp 10 minutes later! (sans shoes - watch the replays at the end of the video)

I am not even joking here - do no watch this video if you have a weak stomach. The disbelief, and utter shock of the announcers comes through very clearly (Tony Hawk sounds like he's about to break down as he utters "I can't believe he landed the 720", trying to maintain some sort of mental control of himself while watching medics attend to the lifeless body of his fellow skater)

Watch the video here at YouTube

(edited to change title)

I watched this live last night and I thought he was dead... or at least injured for life... That was the hardest fall I have ever seen. The room went silent...

yeah that fall was unbelievable. I couldn't believe that he landed hard enough to knock both of his shoes off. It's amazing that he was able to get up and walk out on his own two feet. By the way does anyone know what his injuries were after that fall?

Haven't been able to find anything on his conditions yet, but I caught something on ESPN a short while ago that sounded like punctured lung and lacerated liver - but those were injuries that happened to a BMX rider last year and I was only half paying attention as I reached for the remote, so I'm not sure. I'm sure they'll be talking about it tonight, and for the rest of the weekend.

It's amazing how the human body and brain work - he's lucky he has no memory of what happened:

Fellow skater Pierre-Luc Gagnon said, “I seriously thought he was dead, broke his back or broke both legs. That was the gnarliest slam I've ever seen in my life.” Those sentiments were felt by Jason Ellis as well. Ellis immediately approached Brown after the fall and noted “That's the most terrifying thing I've seen in my life, in the history of skateboarding. His eyes were open and he wasn't breathing. I thought he was . . . dead.”

After nearly ten minutes of remaining motionless Brown was able to get to his feet and staggered to the side. Brown asked Ellis “'Do I have another ride?' 'What'd I do?' 'Did I try the 720?'”. Ellis told him “You made the 720” but when Brown asked “What’d I do on the quarter?” Gagnon responded “Nothing, dude, you did nothing on the quarterpipe.”

I'm sure he's was in shock when they showed him the footage, especially the one angle where he's running in the air and just barely is able to turn his body before impact (that, and his helmet, saved his life).

I was just watching ESPN and they said that doctors are amazed because he has no broken bones and could be realeased as early as tomorrow

He has a contused liver - unbelievably, he's OK otherwise. He's probably going to be released tomorrow from the trauma unit. The man fell about 5 stories high, landed on solid wood like a rag doll, and barely got injured - Australians are by far the toughest SOB's on this planet!

Edited to add: He contused his liver and a lung, but that's all so far. He's tentatively scheduled to show up today/tonight (Sat), and you can guarantee he'll get the biggest standing ovation in history - the crowd will probably go on longer than they did in '99 when Tony Hawk landed that 900 for the first time, deservedly so.

I watched that on the X-games today and was just shocked and awed that he got up and walked away!

Don't forget about Scott Murray's Double Backflip attempt....

His bike was completly fugged after his attempt....He was so banged up he couldn't go....but Jake certainly took the hardest spill i've ever seen...

I watched that live and just about pissed myself after he made that 720...then he tried the 540 and the board just slipped....he'll be back..

Man, Naaaasty! The way his shoes went flying' I would have thought that would have been it for him.

Murray's slam was hard, but it wasn't that bad at all - he was almost done rotating and not in danger of landing on his head (which I thought was going to happen to Travis last year). What made his dangerous was how the clutch jammed and the bike went after him as soon as he rolled away, but his friend doing that suicide dive to finally turn it off was pretty funny (especially how the crew didn't realize who he was at first and tried to get him off the floor :p ). He was up almost as soon as he was down, but he definitely had the coolest back story about how he got to participate in the X Games by far - literally getting in at the last possible minute because of his you tube video and his town all chipping in money to get him there.

How cool was it to see Hoffman back in action after 5 years (and scary every time he fell - one more hit to the head could ruin his life). The bikes were almost as good as the skaters on that ramp.

7 hours of coverage today - it's like an early birthday present :)

Unfreakingbelievable! It's a miracle he's alive. :0

ya, that was sick...fri night matt hoffman took a dump as well, only he hit and landed the top of the ramp that brown missed, still looks like it hurt though. these guys are truly insane.

Jake just called in to talk to Sal and he says he has a bruised kidney, bruised lung, a fractured rib, minor fracture on one of his vertebrae, and whiplash (obvious when you see how his head hit). He sounds a little out of it (pain meds are fun), but otherwise he's in pretty good shape and looks forward to getting back on that ramp!

All in all nothing major when you consider how horrifying his impact was, not to mention that most people would be dead from a nearly 50 foot fall.

Edited: Turns out he broke his wrist, and the fractured vertebrae was actually pre-existing! This guy is made of pure guts!

Well Shaun White is on a roll this year - 2 golds so far at the AST Dew Tour, and his first Vert Gold at the X Games - he's chasing the legend of Tony Hawk in a big way.

13 was a pretty good X Games overall, although I wish they didn't scratch the best trick skate vert comp. 'Unbreakable' Jake Brown will no doubt be back and most likely win the Gold in next years big-air.

we'll see....nyquist fell short once again...but how can you blame him after last years ACL tear...oh well....