• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

You Learn Something New Every Year Pass aka...This space reserved...

Unless anyone has an objection those are all good to my mind. Thanks for playing Tim, looking forward to your lesson!

I object. Frankly, Tim got it turned around too quickly. P/T proposed, approved, and then ready to ship the same day it arrived? Doesn't he know where he is? This whole thing is moving too quickly for me, and I, for one, would like to see it slowed down.

Sorry Tom, as I had to work is taking me away for a bit and I did not want it to sit for almost a week.

Wooo Hooo Phil! Looks like Christmas is about to come early for the fat kid. :whistling:

burg.jpg

FYI I have been informed one of the puts in the pass that I had previously pulled for damage (PSD 4 Reserva) has developed a beetle hole in the last couple of days. It was isolated in its own baggie so the infestation did not spread to the pass (also it was pulled almost 2 months before the beetle hatched) but I have let all the players who took from that run of puts know to isolate the particular sticks they took for good measure.

I have also let Mike know to pull the last potentially compromised stick to be better safe than sorry. Assuming the last stick from that put run shows no signs of trouble there is no likelihood the infestation traveled. However, if anyone in the pass is concerned and wants sticks back or wants me to take the pass off the road please let me know, here or privately. I will do whatever the group wants here, it is an issue beyond my control.

FYI I have been informed one of the puts in the pass that I had previously pulled for damage (PSD 4 Reserva) has developed a beetle hole in the last couple of days. It was isolated in its own baggie so the infestation did not spread to the pass (also it was pulled almost 2 months before the beetle hatched) but I have let all the players who took from that run of puts know to isolate the particular sticks they took for good measure.

I have also let Mike know to pull the last potentially compromised stick to be better safe than sorry. Assuming the last stick from that put run shows no signs of trouble there is no likelihood the infestation traveled. However, if anyone in the pass is concerned and wants sticks back or wants me to take the pass off the road please let me know, here or privately. I will do whatever the group wants here, it is an issue beyond my control.

I am fully accountable for this issue and Phil will in no way be responsible for this problem. He has done a fantastic job dealing with this issue and is a class A BOTL in my mind. These are obviously my puts, so if anyone is affected please let me know here or via PM and I will make sure that you are taken care of. The PSD #4 reserva have always been isolated from the rest of my collection and my hope is that no other vitola are affected, but because this is such a destructive issue I want everyone to have the option of a replacement. I have further isolated any possible sticks that might be affected and placed them in deep freeze.

I am hoping that everyone will accept my sincerest apology and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have even the slightest fear and I will take care of you. Happy Holidays.

Jim

I am fully accountable for this issue and Phil will in no way be responsible for this problem. He has done a fantastic job dealing with this issue and is a class A BOTL in my mind. These are obviously my puts, so if anyone is affected please let me know here or via PM and I will make sure that you are taken care of. The PSD #4 reserva have always been isolated from the rest of my collection and my hope is that no other vitola are affected, but because this is such a destructive issue I want everyone to have the option of a replacement. I have further isolated any possible sticks that might be affected and placed them in deep freeze.

I am hoping that everyone will accept my sincerest apology and please do not hesitate to contact if you have even the slightest fear and I will take care of you. Happy Holidays.

Jim

Shit happens Jim, nothing you could do about it. Hope the rest of your Reservas are ok.

I am hoping that everyone will accept my sincerest apology and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have even the slightest fear and I will take care of you. Happy Holidays.

Jim

Jim,

Does this mean you'll be replacing the stick in the pass?

Sean

Jim

Jim,

Does this mean you'll be replacing the stick in the pass?

Sean

This means that I will do what ever is required to make each and every pass participant comfortable with the pass. All of the PSD #4 Reserva are from the same box, so I am not able to guarantee that the others are not compromised. That combined with the fact it took me over a year to acquire that batch of reservas makes it tough, but I will search to end of the earth if it makes everyone feel at ease :).

Jim

This means that I will do what ever is required to make each and every pass participant comfortable with the pass. All of the PSD #4 Reserva are from the same box, so I am not able to guarantee that the others are not compromised. That combined with the fact it took me over a year to acquire that batch of reservas makes it tough, but I will search to end of the earth if it makes everyone feel at ease :).

Jim

The right thing to do is to replace the cigar, IMO. Put it in its own plastic baggy, even in the unlikely event that it, too, has beetles, it'll be isolated from the rest of the pass.

Jim

The right thing to do is to replace the cigar, IMO. Put it in its own plastic baggy, even in the unlikely event that it, too, has beetles, it'll be isolated from the rest of the pass.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is what I said I would do, in fact I think I said I would search to the end of the earth and find another PSD #4 Reserva if the Pass Participants (thanks for your feedback though Andrew) voiced that is what they wanted to do. I need to stress again I will do whatever is needed to correct the problem.

Jim

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is what I said I would do, in fact I think I said I would search to the end of the earth and find another PSD #4 Reserva if the Pass Participants (thanks for your feedback though Andrew) voiced that is what they wanted to do. I need to stress again I will do whatever is needed to correct the problem.

Jim

You're welcome, Jim. I'm always happy to help people with advice here on CP.

What I meant was that replacing the cigar with one from the same box was the right thing to do.

Cigars that are in the same box were not necessarily rolled from exactly the same tobacco, or even rolled on the same day. They are color sorted before being placed into the box, and they may have been mass-aging for a bit together with a whole lot of other cigars of the same blend, rolled at different times, from different tobacco.

The only reason to think that one beetle cigar contaminates the others is if you think the whole box was stored in some way at some point that makes it more likely for beetles to come out (overly warm/moist), or if a beetle comes out, and lays eggs in the box, but it doesn't sound like this happened until the pass was in the air (the beetle hole).

So IMHO, there's no reason to fear that the other PSDs in that box are any more or less in danger of sporting beetles, unless you know it has been stored poorly at some point, or if you find evidence of beetle activity in the box itself (as opposed to that single cigar).

Jim

You're welcome, Jim. I'm always happy to help people with advice here on CP.

What I meant was that replacing the cigar with one from the same box was the right thing to do.

Cigars that are in the same box were not necessarily rolled from exactly the same tobacco, or even rolled on the same day. They are color sorted before being placed into the box, and they may have been mass-aging for a bit together with a whole lot of other cigars of the same blend, rolled at different times, from different tobacco.

The only reason to think that one beetle cigar contaminates the others is if you think the whole box was stored in some way at some point that makes it more likely for beetles to come out (overly warm/moist), or if a beetle comes out, and lays eggs in the box, but it doesn't sound like this happened until the pass was in the air (the beetle hole).

So IMHO, there's no reason to fear that the other PSDs in that box are any more or less in danger of sporting beetles, unless you know it has been stored poorly at some point, or if you find evidence of beetle activity in the box itself (as opposed to that single cigar).

Andrew,

Would you advise me putting the rest of the PSD #4 from that box in the freezer for a time just in case. I do store all of my cigars in a cooled environment, but I also want to ensure the beetle problem is resolved the best way that I can. Again thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Andrew,

Would you advise me putting the rest of the PSD #4 from that box in the freezer for a time just in case. I do store all of my cigars in a cooled environment, but I also want to ensure the beetle problem is resolved the best way that I can. Again thanks for the feedback.

Jim

I would advise that you inspect every cigar in that box carefully (for holes), and inspect the box itself for evidence of beetles (tobacco dust). If neither of those are the case, I wouldn't be too worried. If you want to be super-paranoid, you can also put that box in a plastic bag. If you want to freeze the cigars, make sure you have a freezer that can go to the temperature required to kill tobacco beetle eggs. Most home freezers will not cut it.

There are cigar beetle eggs on most tobacco. Manufacturers take steps like deep freezing boxes before shipping them (something Habanos SA has stated they are doing relatively recently) but it's not 100%. So having an outbreak on a single cigar from a box doesn't mean that box is "contaminated" unless the outbreak happened *in* that box and the mature beetles got out and were laying eggs.

I realize that the first inclination is "OMG, that box is tainted" -- but that's not necessarily the case at all, because the cigars were color sorted a while after they were rolled, so they likely came from different tobacco bales and different rolling times. Treating all of the cigars in the box as being "the same" really only makes sense relative to whether or not the manufacturer deep froze the box or not, and whether or not the box was stored in an environment that might make it conducive to beetles hatching.

It's just important to realize when it makes sense to consider the cigars from a box as a collective group and when it does not.

Andrew,

Jim

I would advise that you inspect every cigar in that box carefully (for holes), and inspect the box itself for evidence of beetles (tobacco dust). If neither of those are the case, I wouldn't be too worried. If you want to be super-paranoid, you can also put that box in a plastic bag.

There are cigar beetle eggs on most tobacco. Manufacturers take steps like deep freezing boxes before shipping them (something Habanos SA has stated they are doing relatively recently) but it's not 100%. So having an outbreak on a single cigar from a box doesn't mean that box is "contaminated" unless the outbreak happened *in* that box and the mature beetles got out and were laying eggs.

I realize that the first inclination is "OMG, that box is tainted" -- but that's not necessarily the case at all, because the cigars were color sorted a while after they were rolled, so they likely came from different tobacco bales and different rolling times. Treating all of the cigars in the box as being "the same" really only makes sense relative to whether or not the manufacturer deep froze the box or not, and whether or not the box was stored in an environment that might make it conducive to beetles hatching.

It's just important to realize when it makes sense to consider the cigars from a box as a collective group and when it does not.

Excellent Andrew!! Thanks so much I should have searched this topic much sooner than now, so that I had some insight into the beetle issue. Again thanks so much. Of course "I learned something new", so this is not even a thread jack, right Phil? Again Andrew thank you for the info :).

Jim

Sorry I am in and out right now dealing with some madness at work. Andrew's assessment of the beetle progression is excellent, that is why I am not concerned about the other sticks in the pass at this time. Thank you guys for working this shit out while I am occupied and other participants please feel free to weigh in. I will get back on this later.

Well stated, Andrew.

Jim, it sounds as though you are willing to provide the pass with a new PSD4 Reserva and this makes the most sense to me. As Andrew suggested, give your PSD4 Reserva box a once over, reviewing the cigars for holes and the box itself for dust and beetle waste. If it all appears well, ship the cigar to the next pass participant in a singles baggie and all is well!

Happy Holidays everyone,

Rob

Sounds good. Phil when time allows will you PM me the next participants address so that I can get this cigar out. Thanks.

Jim