• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Your Social Security Card

Your Social Security Card

• YES I have it, Original

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I have it, Duplicate

• NO I don't have one.

• Total voters

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
A strange thing happened to me at my bank the other day. When I was moving some funds around, the Rep asked me to confirm my Social Security number and I gave it to her, verbally, like always. She then says, "Excuse me Mr. Roberti, but can I see your card for confirmation please." I was floored, I can't remember the last time someone asked me for it....the fact is, I don't think I've had one in 35 years or more! As best I can remember, I lost my wallet as a kid and never got a duplicate. All through college and the beginning of my business career, business loans, mortgages, you name it...I've never been asked for it. I know the Bank President and he waved off the card thing, but it got me thinking....I have to go and get a copy of the darn thing.

Anyone else experience this? Or am I just fugged up! Do you have yours?

Got to go get one Monday for sure....now, where the hell is a Social Security Office!

I love mine too.

I need to get it replaced. Twice this week I have heard of someone being asked for their SS card.

Must be a change in the law for them to start asking.

I had the same thing happen to me although i do not know the bank president. I ended up having to wait a couple of weeks to handle my bank business because i had to go get a replacement card from the SS office. Needless to say it was not a pleasent time. I for one will take care of my card from now on

I love mine too.

I need to get it replaced. Twice this week I have heard of someone being asked for their SS card.

Must be a change in the law for them to start asking.

I need to replace mine too. But for different reasons then Nimrod :whistling: :laugh:

I got mine earlier this year. I keep it with my passport and work visa so that if DHS or others question, I have the necessary docs with me at all times.

Got my original one...and have never used it!

My card, my wife's card, and both my boys cards are laminated in plastic and stored in my safe. Certified copies of all our birth certificates, too.

Yes, I'm a bit anal about stuff like this..... :p

The last time I remember seeing mine was when I enlisted and that was 35 years ago too.

My card, my wife's card, and both my boys cards are laminated in plastic and stored in my safe. Certified copies of all our birth certificates, too.

Not sure if it applies to older cards or not, but when I had to get a replacement they were very specific about not laminating it do to a UV marker thingy (water mark?). I believe the newer cards say "do no laminate" on them, if I could find that darn thing I would check for you. :(

Not sure if it applies to older cards or not, but when I had to get a replacement they were very specific about not laminating it do to a UV marker thingy (water mark?). I believe the newer cards say "do no laminate" on them, if I could find that darn thing I would check for you. :(
Interesting.....but these are very old, printed on what appears to be some surprisingly coarse paper with no security features I can see. The newest is youngest son's and it's roughly 17 years old.

I got mine when I was in the 7th grade. You do the math..... :laugh:

Interesting.....but these are very old, printed on what appears to be some surprisingly coarse paper with no security features I can see. The newest is youngest son's and it's roughly 17 years old.

I got mine when I was in the 7th grade. You do the math..... :laugh:

I mine would be from 2001-02. So carry the one and divide the polyno....um....yup your right.
I find it interesting too that, you SSN was never intended to be a form of identification, yet is probably the most common form now.....(next to Driver License)

I find it interesting too that, you SSN was never intended to be a form of identification, yet is probably the most common form now.....(next to Driver License)
....correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on almost every document where it's used, it's now referred to as your "Taxpayer Identification Number".

I don't have a tinfoil hat in the closet, but the fact is that for several years now, the government has wanted to have some system in place where everyone has a number. Guess this one seemed to be a good candidate.

B.B.S.

Just curious, do you think it safer to store them in a safe (fireproof of course) in your home than in a safe deposit box at the bank? I have mine and all our other crucial and irreplaceable documents in a box at the bank. But if there was good reason not to use that I'd be open to hearing it!

Also, I was always under the impression that Taxpayer Id Number was something that was used to reference the SSN given to corporations or other tax paying entities that are not human. Since a TIN would never collect Social Security benefits such as a person would.

I've had a few financial transactions in the last couple of years that required it. I'm like Tom, though. All in the strong box with the rest of our critical documents.

Just curious, do you think it safer to store them in a safe (fireproof of course) in your home than in a safe deposit box at the bank? I have mine and all our other crucial and irreplaceable documents in a box at the bank. But if there was good reason not to use that I'd be open to hearing it!
I have the major home safe...rated at 2000 degrees @ 6 hours. Our everyday important stuff is in there (everything but my SS card!) Passports, birth certificates, tax papers, important contracts and agreements, short term investment documents...things that can be accessed quickly as needed, not determined by Bank hours. Our heirloom and irreplaceable jewelry, wills, long term investment docs, etc is in our Bank's safe deposit box.

I think the 2 pronged approach is viable....

I got a replacement in April because I needed it when I started working.

The last time I remember seeing mine was when I enlisted and that was 35 years ago too.
That's really the last time I had my original...when I enlisted 18 years ago. The MEPS lost my original somewhere while they were doing intake. Back then I didn't give it too much thought but today I would have had them tear the place apart until they found it!

I have mine...never needed to produce it yet, however I should probably get a new one, since I laminated it long ago lol.

You are not the only one. SS cards, copies of birth certificates, titles for cars, and passports all in water proof bags is fire safe. Fire safes are not water proof so after a fire things might be mush if not sealed.