• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM cigars. Just hype?

dannykcha

I definitely thought so for quite some time. But in the past couple of days, I've smoked one of my PSD4's and a Lusitania this morning and they were AMAZING from start-to-finish. (Also a few Johnny-O's, if those count, since receiving them last week, which I can't seem to keep my hands off of long enough to age a year or so. Hahah)

Anyways, I must've smoked previous ISOMs (HDM E2, PSD4, Monte 2) much too soon before giving them a chance to rest a bit, because I wasn't impressed AT ALL. (Although they were decent)

But now that I've been fortunate enough to try some that have had some time to rest, I definitely can appreciate ISOMs so much more and crave them!!

I can't wait to find and/or have the chance to try some more with a little age/rest on them now!! I've heard great things about BBF, RASS, Siglos, PSP2, Monte Edmundos, and etc.

Hype is a personal thing.

Yes many Cuban cigars are hyped. And even though I do enjoy some Cuban cigars (beer isn't the only reason I stayed in Germany) I find most of them not to worth the asking price. Some are, but the whole LE BS has soured me.

Yea, a lot of them are really great, but them being something you're not supposed to possess also adds to the allure.

Back in 'the old days', Coors beer was forbidden fruit east of the Mississippi. It was the best beer on the planet. Just ask anybody east of the Mississippi. There was even a movie made about smuggling it east (Smokey and the Bandit). Now it's legal and easily available. Personally I think it's colored water, but there are those who do believe it's a great beer.

I look at Cuban's the same way. There has been this mystic about them for decades. It's 'the grass is greener' syndrome. Some CC's do live up to the hype. Everybody has different tastes. Smoke what you like, not what others tell you you're supposed to like.

I have been more impressed by some CCs than others. A good CC is amazing, but I'd also say that about a good NC.

IMO there are many NCs not worth the hype as well.

+1 to smoke what you like

Since we only have cuban around here I've never had the cance to actually compare CC from NC. The posts I've stumbled upon are mixed about Cubans (mainly talking about the quality vs price). But most posters (old member as I dont want to qualify all of them as FOG's) seem to really like them once they slept a while in a humi.

I honestly think Cuban Tobacco, in and of itslef, is pretty amazing. Too bad the curing and cigar making process has serious shortcomings.
For my personal tastes, Cuban tobacco is my favorite, with Nicaraguan being a close second. Fuente's are in my 3rd place.
As I've often said, I'd love to see what Padron or Fuente could do with Cuban Tobacco.

Yea, a lot of them are really great, but them being something you're not supposed to possess also adds to the allure.

It does add to it. Once you get over it though, knowing what's good and what's not really makes a difference (to your personal taste). That being said, 2011 production has really changed my opinion on Cuban cigars.

I honestly think Cuban Tobacco, in and of itslef, is pretty amazing. Too bad the curing and cigar making process has serious shortcomings.
For my personal tastes, Cuban tobacco is my favorite, with Nicaraguan being a close second. Fuente's are in my 3rd place.
As I've often said, I'd love to see what Padron or Fuente could do with Cuban Tobacco.

I would also LOVE to see Pepin blend with Cuban tobacco included. That would be AMAZING. I think there was a quote where Pepin said that if he was able to create a blend using Cuban tobacco, along with other countries, that it would receive a perfect score of 100.

It does add to it. Once you get over it though, knowing what's good and what's not really makes a difference (to your personal taste). That being said, 2011 production has really changed my opinion on Cuban cigars.

In a good or a bad way? :whistling:

Smoked my 2nd Monte 4 and 2nd RyJ Cedros #4. The Monte was only slighly better than the 1st one and after 12 hrs dry boxing. The RyJ was also nothing special. I was so drunk when I smoked the 1st one I dont even remember if it was bad. I have only had them for a mo or so. They will be ignored for a year or more, and then tasted again.

PSD4 fresh, old, new, I'll smoke it. Just something about them. :thumbs:

Like Mad Monk said their is something about Cuban tabacco that just reals me in. Young ones are are almost a dissapointment me for me but aged ones and when they are on - unbeatable. I read an article about a gentleman that owned a cigar lounge in NYC saying that people just smoke the band and that there are enough excellent NC out there that there is no need to smoke ISOM's. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good NC but given the choice and I'm paying - I prefer the cuban leaf!

NicCs for me. I like to gift CCs because people getting them are usually fasinated by them.

I love the idea of Padron using Cuban leaf, some day.

Perhaps it is a mental placebo-type effect, or just the thrill of "smoking a Cuban", but I really do notice a taste difference between CC's and cigars with tobacco from other parts of the world. I cannot define this difference, exactly, but it is just there. I was discussing this subject with another member here recently. I think the difference I'm noticing is real, though I'm not sure I can pick the CC out of a blind lineup of ten sticks by "that taste" alone. Well, yet, anyway. I know there are plenty here who can, and maybe it's something I *would* recognize if I tried it. For now, though, I'm content to understand that I perceive a distinct "calling card", if you will, in the Cuban tobacco I have smoked.

I think Cuban cigars had a huge step up many, many years ago. Since the embargo, the quality and taste of Nic, DR, and other tobacco has come along way. They definitely have a flavor of thier own, and the forbidden fruit aspect adds to it. Is better than a Padron or Fuente, only you can tell.

When I first started smoking cigars the CC where all I could get and I smoked heaps, eventually I fell out of love with them because they all began to taste the same so I gravitated to Dom's and Nic's for a change of pace.
But just last year I came accross 2 Monte Tubos that had been sitting for 6 years and the vendor was asking $10 a piece so I snapped them up and left them for about 6 months before lighting one up, I gotta tell you that it was sublime.
The other one was gifted to another BOTL for Xmas and he said it was the best cigar he has ever had, so it goes to show that resting Cubans is a must to really bring out the best side of that type of cigar, where as Nic's and Dom's can be smoked right away.

I'll take a Nic smoke any day over a Cuban. I still haven't found a Cuban smoke that just amazes me and draws me back in like a Liga, Illusione, Tat, Padron, etc...

Smoke what you like, though. :)