• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just When I Thought I Heard It All....

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
...they come up with ANOTHER catchy phrase to describe a certain taste. Like cigars, I am always amazed how some folks can ACTUALLY taste what they say they do. This one is about a wine special from Seth over at Shoppers Vineyard in NJ that went out this morning...

A joint venture between Eric Solomon and proprietor Nuria Altes, this is an unreal value made from 100% Grenache from vines planted nearly 100 years ago. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by a flowery perfume revealing aromas of forest floor, underbrush, sweet black cherries, raspberries and strawberries. Medium-bodied, ethereal as well as sublime, this finesse-styled Grenache possesses a delicacy that is difficult to believe for such intensity. Consume it over the next 3-4 years.”

FOREST FLOOR & UNDERBRUSH...you got to be f'in kidding me!  :rolleyes: I read a ton of wine reviews and I NEVER read or heard those two characterizations used to describe a taste before! :whistling: 

PS: ​Yeah, I bought some because I've never licked a forest floor or the underbrush that surrounds it....and if I drink this wine, it's probably as close as I'll ever get! :laugh: 

Consuming and trying to describe an impression or taste is a very subjective activity.  Lots of imagination in the marketing world. I am still looking for hints of citrus in a cigar but the search is wonderful.
Let us know how that wine is when you drink some.

"Forest floor and underbrush".....I love that taste!!!

Sounds musty to me. I don't particularly like my wine to taste like mold and fungus. The thing is wine tasters have been tested and are able to discern esters down to one part per billion. Cigar reviewers, not so much. Because what happens when you set fire to an ester...
Carbon IE. Charcoal. Hint of chocolate my ass.

Doc

If you've got Netflix, I recommend checking out Somm. Good documentary that follows a few people as they try to pass the Master Sommelier test. You hear a lot of weird tasting notes, including "fresh garden hose." Even some of the other people trying to pass had a good laugh at that one.

ETA: I find it hard to believe you've never licked underbrush before, Gary.

Have you seen Jersey girls? Underbrush is probably pretty accurate.

tomthirtysix said:
Have you seen Jersey girls? Underbrush is probably pretty accurate.

Nah, that's the Lon Giland chicks Billy Joel sings about...."...and those hairy girls out here do sure look pretty."

Capt J said:
Consuming and trying to describe an impression or taste is a very subjective activity.  Lots of imagination in the marketing world. I am still looking for hints of citrus in a cigar but the search is wonderful.
Let us know how that wine is when you drink some.
Have you done that with a Cameroon wrapper? Most common that I've tasted citrus in. Try a Partagas Decadencia or some crap like that. The one in the glass tube for stupid money. I think JR was selling them fairly inexpensive.

I think the whole process is ok, but do question the abilities of some of the reviewers. 

I have considered getting some test strips which help determine if you are a super taster. You lick the strip, and apparently a positive would be it tasting extremely bitter. I found them on Amazon, and they are fairly inexpensive.

Actually he said it SMELLS that way not tastes that way.

I know that aroma well.... I guess from many years spent in the woods camping, hiking, and hunting, in the service, etc. Even though he was talking about the smell like Ray mentioned, it is an aroma that permeates your taste senses as well. Many times I've smoked cigars that have reminded me of that musty, damp, earthy, forest floor I've experienced so many times since childhood. I quite like it even though I've never grabbed a mouthful of underbrush and shoved it in my mouth.

jfields said:
I know that aroma well.... I guess from many years spent in the woods camping, hiking, and hunting, in the service, etc. Even though he was talking about the smell like Ray mentioned, it is an aroma that permeates your taste senses as well. Many times I've smoked cigars that have reminded me of that musty, damp, earthy, forest floor I've experienced so many times since childhood. I quite like it even though I've never grabbed a mouthful of underbrush and shoved it in my mouth.

Good thing you didn't go the direction I thought you were going to go........musty/damp/earthy aroma.

:sign: