• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glen Albyn 30 yo Highland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glen Albyn 30 yo, D&M bottling, 750 ml, 86 proof, no packaging, standard bottle, about $123 delivered.

Glen%20Albyn%2030.JPG

Servebig was offered a deal on a private bottling of 30 yo Glen Albyn so I took him up on his kind offer to include me in on it.

Glen Albyn is not a very well known scotch and was mainly used for blends since the 1920's until it closed and was demolished in 1983. There are a few pre 1972 distillery releases but mostly only independent bottlings are available. Getting a "silent still" bottling such as this for the price is really a good find, even better if the whisky is good too.

I had a chance last year to try the 1974 Cooper's Choice bottling of Glen Albyn, the same vintage as the D&M now in front of me. That one was a bit stronger at 92 proof but otherwise a fairly light and unassuming scotch with nothing really exceptional coming out. This D&M bottling, while perhaps made at the same time, is a much more flavorful dram. Maybe it was where this cask was stored, the quality of the cask itself or a myriad of other things but there is a distinct difference between the two.

This version of Glen Albyn noses a nice mix of spiced pears with a touch of malt and sweetness. The taste is sweet with some spiciness and a bit of peat; spiced pears from the nosing still come to mind. The finish is long and mostly on the top of the tongue instead of the normal sides with spiciness outlasting the sweetness. This is how a lighter aged scotch should be, with flavors and not just oak controlling the taste.

All in all not a bad dram. Each sip is a bit of lost history never to be repeated, I'm glad I bought it.

avb...so glad you liked it! also...glad to get some history on glen albyn. your tasting notes are a great example of how palates differ, but of course i must defer to yours! for me, i was shocked that this was not cask strength, as it seemed quite a powerful dram. i tasted more vanilla, but couldn't find pear...im anxious to try again, but its only 9am here :) i look forward to gregor22s thoughts, as he also got a bottle.

anyway, so glad that you liked it in your own way, and i hope it adds some variety to your massive collection. i look forward to your ordering something really cool after the holidays. btw, i will be out of town til around 1/5, so i hope you can wait to order after that...

barney

My taste isn't any better than yours just different perhaps.

servebig said:
avb...so glad you liked it! also...glad to get some history on glen albyn. your tasting notes are a great example of how palates differ, but of course i must defer to yours!

I think it would go great with coffee and pancakes.......what's your point?

...im anxious to try again, but its only 9am here :) i look forward to gregor22s thoughts, as he also got a bottle.

The next order is planned to open on the 7th or 8th and actually be placed about the 22nd, you'll have time.

I will be out of town til around 1/5, so i hope you can wait to order after that...

barney
[snapback]152184[/snapback]​

I had a chance to try Glen Albyn at the Edinburgh Malt whiskey society.. I was so blown away that I stuck to it for the night.. unfirtunately, it was their last bottle and, living in Canada, I haven't had the chance to buy it or try it again.
Enjoy it for me lads.. Sigh.

It was probably a different bottling as the one I reviewed here was for D&M liquors as a private bottling. Nice to have your first post here in the Saloon but you really should do an intro in the Introduction forum and fill out your profile a bit.

wolfhound said:
I had a chance to try Glen Albyn at the Edinburgh Malt whiskey society.. I was so blown away that I stuck to it for the night.. unfirtunately, it was their last bottle and, living in Canada, I haven't had the chance to buy it or try it again.
Enjoy it for me lads.. Sigh.
[snapback]239721[/snapback]​