• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Auchentoshan Three Wood

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Auchentoshan Three Wood, standard bottle, 86 proof, no packaging, 750 ml, $40-45
Auchentoshan is a lowland distillery that still triple distills instead of double distills as most single malts do.

Auchentoshan%20Three%20Wood.JPG

Here we have the unique pleasure to see how two different people "see" the same product. Back in April of 2004, PaulMac reviewed this scotch and I have included that here so you can read the differences between us. The first thing you might notice is that the price has gone up about $5 a bottle since PaulMac's review. :(

Owned by Morrison-Bowmore, Auchentoshan is one of the few remaining lowland distilleries left. This is quite a different whisky then the 21 yo I reviewed here, much darker in color and lighter on the wallet!

Three Wood noses a bit malty and then the sherry takes over almost masking a slight toffee smell. The taste is very sherried with a good fruitiness and a little malt. The underlying cleanness is very similar to a good Irish whiskey. The finish is long and somewhat citrus but fairly gentle with oak tannen from the bourbon cask taking over at the very end.

Auchentoshan Three Wood is well-made malt that has to be tried, as I don't think it is for everyone. Fans of Irish whiskey I think will like this but not so much those of Isley. I'm still undecided myself and will have to give this another try or two :thumbs: before I reach my final decision.

PaulMac said:
Welcome again intrepid travelers to the next in my new series of Scotch reviews, AVB said I better hurry up with this one, because I told him how great this scotch was...certainly one of the best I ever had, so without further blathering I give you...

Auchentoshan Three Wood, 43% ABV, 750 ml, $35-40 neighborhood
Auchentoshan is a lowland distillery, and perhaps the only one left in Scotland that still triple distills instead of double.

The name Three Wood comes from the fact that this whisky is aged for at least 10 years in Bourbon Wood, at least a year in Oloroso, and finally six months in Pedro Ximenez.

The color is a deep rich orange-brown, very deeply caramel. The nose is where the fun begins, WOW! Very soft, with Orange zest, nuts and just a nice sweetness to it. My drinkin companion said he would be satisfied to just sniff the nose all night, but I knew he was lying :p Medium bodied, the palate bombards you with a plethora of flavors, nuttiness abounds, and oakiness, and just several delicate fleeting flavors, all combining to make a whisky of incredible flavor, my friend said it was like drinking a warm, fuzzy, nutty blanket, that just wraps around your tongue and caresses it. Finish is nice and long, but smooth, with hints of raisin and more oak.

I tried to do this Scotch justice, but I really can't...I know my palate can't pick up all the flavors let alone try to put them into words...but lets just say, this scotch was incredible, and at the price, I expect this will be in my cabinet quite often.

Until next time,

Slainte!

PaulMac
[snapback]103048[/snapback]​

Another great review AVB. Thanks for including PaulMac's review too. Am curious to see what you say about it the second or third try.

Gregor

Doesn't seem like this one is too popular. I thought there would be more interest in the differences between PaulMac and myself......especially from PaulMac!

gregor22 said:
Another great review AVB. Thanks for including PaulMac's review too. Am curious to see what you say about it the second or third try.

Gregor
[snapback]162420[/snapback]​

Lol, first week of classes, so been a bit busy, but I pondering!

PaulMac

I'm just bored at work so I'm reading some of your old reviews, AVB, and injecting (hopefully) relevant comments where I can. I have wanted to try this scotch for a while, but I cannot find a bar that carries it and I refuse to buy a bottle (you'll see why shortly). I bought a bottle of the standard 10 y.o. version on sale (and a whim) a year or two ago, and remember thinking it was very much like Irish whiskey, i.e. light, fruity, and a bit harsher than I find most scotches. I attribute this to the triple-distillation. I had heard that the three-wood was a significant improvement over the 10 y.o., but as I said, I don't want to experiment with a whole bottle and no bars 'round here pour it. At least it doesn't look like I'm missing a lot, as so far your tastes seem to jive with mine fairly well (although you are lucky enough to be reviewing many more and nicer whiskies than I have had access to in my admittedly short career as a scotch lover).

I just bought a bottle tonight. Random pick off the shelf.

I like it, but it is a little long on the fruity/sweeter taste than what I have been getting myself accustomed to.

I tried a couple snifters of this while at the Falcon's draft day party down at Dantanna's. I thought it was a very complex dram, heavy on the sherry with fruity notes. It was very smooth. If I can find it, I'm definitely going to grab a bottle.

I like it when Ray's reviews float to the top again! Gives me something new, random and interesting to look for without the budget-busting going to the actual review links page would set me up for! :laugh:

The description here---both of 'em---sounds like something I'd like . . . I do enjoy Irish whiskeys from time to time, and love "caskings" in general, sherry ones in particular.

My local source carries the standard Auchentoshan, so I'll have to check the shelf for this one.

~Boar

This sounds marvelous, and as a fan of Irish whiskeys I'm guessing it will be right up my alley. Seemed like a no-brainer...

until I found out that now it's $60 at my local. :angry:

That should be the going rate, $55-$60. In California, I've never seen it for less than $60. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

I haven't found any locally yet but that's what I expect to pay.

Well, the review is 4 years old so you can assume that prices went up so while a very few places have it in the $50's the going rate does seem to be about $60.

This sounds marvelous, and as a fan of Irish whiskeys I'm guessing it will be right up my alley. Seemed like a no-brainer...

until I found out that now it's $60 at my local. :angry:

Nothing locally yet but I'm going to keep looking. Did find Crystal Head vodka, so the weekly restock had a cool addition. :cool:

~Boar

I had a local order this from his supplier last week so after a hot day of doing yard work all day yesterday I finally figured I would have a dram or two after dinner. This was a very nice end to the day, lots of wonderful flavors, all the above showed up on time and with a wonderful blend that was just comforting on the nose and pallet. This is a bottle that will find it's way into my cabinet fairly often even though I paid a bit more than what Ray posted recently of $48.

I really have to start using Ray's links to find the next bottle.