• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chieftain's Cigar Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Chieftain's Cigar Malt, Single Cask, 14 yo, 700ml, 112 proof, standard bottle, presentation wood box. About $105, unavailable in the US. (Picture of 2006 12 yo version)
Chieftains%202006.jpg

Chieftain's Cigar Malt is a joint venture between Ian Macleod (an independent bottler) and The Cigar Box on High Street, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh Scotland. This particular version is from a single Oloroso Sherry cask #4425 and is one of 654 bottles from that cask. Besides being a Speyside whisky the actual distillery that this came from is known only to Ian Macleod. The previous version, (Cask #8279/708 bottles) was a 13 year old also from a Sherry Cask, was voted the second best scotch to have with a cigar at the 2004 Whisky & Cigar Challenge in Havana. Like all single cask whisky no two are alike and the soon to be released 3rd version is bound to be slightly different then the first two.

For this tasting I started with a fair sized splash neat in my glass. At 112 proof this was a bit much so I cut it with half a shot of spring water. First without the cigar this noses sherry, oranges and malt with an overlaying spiciness. Tasting is a battle between the sherry/malt sweetness and a strong spiciness that fades into an orange, raisin and almond finish. The finish lasts a medium length of time with a slight drying on the roof of the mouth.

As listed on the inside of the box, this is supposed to be best with a medium Cuban or medium/strong Dominican or Honduran. To test this I chose a 2002 Vegas Robaina Unicos. It was an interesting combination with the sweet spiciness of the scotch mixing with the earthy spiciness of the cigar. I think it might even be a better pairing with a cigar that is more cocoa then pepper. My testing was first a sip of scotch that I let get well into the finish and then a few puffs on the cigar. The scotch is strong enough that trying to smoke just after a drink overpowers the smoke. In my opinion this is a much better malt then the Dalmore Cigar Malt but also a better mix with a stronger cigar. A dram that lives up to the name. ACE. :thumbs:

On the flip side of things there are some scotch aficionados think that any pairing of food or cigars with scotch is a waste of scotch because you lose the subtle flavors. To quote Dr. David McCoy the noted connoisseur: "In layman's terms, it is my personal opinion that the Scotch single malt should be consumed and enjoyed for its general quality of flavor as well as for its extensive complexities. A leading Parisian perfumer, by the name of Christian St. Roche, once identified twenty-six aromas in one Scotch single malt. I dare say that these numbers would have been significantly less had Mr. St. Roche conducted his study while dining on some flavorful cuisine. This would have certainly been the case if his gastronomic sensory preceptors had been paralyzed by nicotine from a cigar. If the "general flavor" is all that the consumer desires from this beverage then he will appreciate it for only a very small part of its character. If, on the other hand, the consumer desires to "experience" instead of "drink" this most complex of all the alcoholic spirits, without masking out many of the subtlest complexities of this unique beverage, then he will experience it with only a small amount of water. The choice is an individual one."

I'll leave you to decide what pertains to you. Until then I'll be out on the deck with my dram and cigar when I feel like it.

You can read a review by BBS of the 2006 version here

I shipped out 4 bottles of this yesterday so hopefully, we'll be seeing another review or two in the next week. Right Bigmac, PaulMac, HFM & Lucasbuck?

A review from me would consist of "I liked it or I didn't like it" :D