• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Four Roses Single Barrel

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Four Roses Single Barrel, square to round style bottle, no box, 100 proof, 8? yo, about $32 but limited distribution to Kentucky at the moment. This is not the same as the Four Roses single barrel normally available in the Far East.

As you can see the unique bottle has the Four Roses logo molded into the glass and is cork-finished. A hand-written label on the front identifies the serial number of the barrel and the warehouse from which it was taken in this case Warehouse LW and barrel 11-5H.

Four%20Roses%20Single%20Barrel.JPG

Four Roses, now owned by the Japanese liquor giant Kirin, has started to make more of their product available in the US. This release coincides with the opening of the new visitor center at the Four Roses distillery.

This drink was my pour of choice during the playoffs today. Unlike the standard Four Roses which is blended from 10 bourbon recipes of two mash bills and five yeasts. This, being a single barrel, is obviously just one of those recipes. The nose is as unusual as the whiskey with licorice and cherry along with semi-sweet chocolate and a good sense of charred oak. Tasting confirms the cherry with a bite flavors while the licorice is not as strong as the nosing would make you believe. Some nut flavors come out on the sides of the tongue as the licorice fades. Even at 100 proof this goes down very easily, perhaps too easily. :D The finish is long...I mean really long and remains very flavorful for quite a few minutes after the drink is gone.

There are some on the bourbon boards who think that this is the top bourbon available at the moment. While I won't go quite that far I will say it is certainly one of the top 5 that I own. Beg borrow or steal a bottle to try, it is well worth the effort. :thumbs:

Forgive me if I'm being silly, but isn't this the same label that my Dad was bringing home as a gift when he worked for REA Express back in the 60-70's?

I mean, I'm sure this liquid is far pemium as compared to back then, and I acknowledge the Japenese may now own it, but the name and label look very familiar.

Please, enlighten me if I am wrong.

Michael

Could be since the company has been around since 1888. It was a very popular bourbon at one time, even ahead of Jim Beam post-prohibition I've read.

Edit for additional info from Four Roses:

In 1943, Seagram purchased the Frankfort Distilling Co. primarily to acquire the most noted and recognized name in the business at that time – Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Seagram, a Canadian corporation, preferred to focus on blended whiskies, and soon after the purchase of Frankfort Distilling Company, introduced Four Roses American, a blended whiskey to capitalize on the renowned name of Four Roses Bourbon. So even though Four Roses was the top selling Bourbon in the US in the 30s, 40s and 50s, Seagram made the decision to discontinue the sale of Kentucky Straight Bourbon in the US and sell only blended whiskey here. Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon was moved to the rapidly growing European and Asian markets where it quickly became the top selling Bourbon.

Very nice AVB. I have yet to buy, but will definitely get this on my short list.

-D

Dan, I know for a fact that you had a couple bottles of the Four Roses SB in your mitts recently. What happened to those, huh?? :p

Well, he sent one to me :)

This is considered the top bourbon? .... The search is on... :D

That's the problem, I haven't kept any myslef. LOL!!! I have sampled it at times and will definititely buy my own one of these days!!!!Guess I should have edited to say I have yet to keep....I have much more fun helping fellow BOTL's out when I can. Drink some for me guys!!!

Kayakin' if you need one PM me.

-D

Always looking out for the BOTL's :thumbs: