• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fighting Cock 6 yo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Fighting Cock 6 yo bourbon, 750ml standard bottle, no other packaging, 103 proof, about $15.
Fighting_Cock-6.JPG

Went to a friends house down the road and took my new bottle of Fighting Cock with me to share. Fighting Cock is an old brand that all but disappeared for decades before being resurrected in 1998. There have been 8 and 15 yo versions out previously but the 6 yo is the standard now. Since this is a Heaven Hill product they can basically put out any age they want at almost any time.

The bottle has a somewhat cheap looking plastic stick on label of a fighting cock and has all the other normal info on it. It does stand out due to the colors but is a little garish IMO.

At 103 proof this bourbon has a little more kick then a normal 80 or 86 proof drink and adding a few drops of water really does help with bringing out the flavors. Unlike most bourbons this one has a high rye content instead of wheat to give it a more spicy character.

Fighting Cock is a love it or leave it bourbon if you follow the bourbon boards. Some have called it the worst they have ever had while others say it is their "everyday" pour. For me it certainly isn't the worst I've had, not by a long shot but it isn't top 10 either.

After pouring a solid 2 fingers in my glass I let it sit for a few minutes while my friend got some ice for his glass. All of these notes are based on drinking this neat but water does enhance the nosing and flavors I've noted.

The nosing is vanilla and new hay with a little nutmeg riding on a touch of corn. The rye in the mash is noticed in the first tasting with a good pepper taste and an solid alcohol heat. Corn and oak show up after the initial alcohol dilutes a tad. The finish is corn and vanilla until an oaky dryness takes over at the very end.

Once you get over the initial alcohol hit, the flavor is not bad at all and I believe this would work very well in a bourbon based cocktail (no pun intended :)) Not the best $15 bourbon out there but if you want to try something a little different it isn't a bad investment of a fairly small amount of cash.

Fighting Cock 6 yo bourbon, 750ml standard bottle, no other packaging, 103 proof, about $15.

Went to a friends house down the road and took my new bottle of Fighting Cock with me to share. Fighting Cock is an old brand that disappeared for decades before being resurected in 1998.

Not the best $15 bourbon out there but if you want to try something a little different it isn't a bad investment of a fairly small amount of cash.

I remember drinking a bottle in 1984 or 1985. Seems like it was about a $5 to $7 dollar bottle back then. Cheap and nasty!

I got so wasted I passed out in the yard of the local "bad boys biker club". Apparently I stumbled into their place and partied with them a while before the lights went out. I was originally at a place a few doors down and became shall we say disoriented :).

I found out through that experience that the "bad boys" weren't really so bad after all, and were actually a pretty good bunch.

Back in the 70s Fighting Cock was taken on all my trips to a lake where a bud of mine had a party house...about twice a month. I have vague memories of it. :D We also drank Rebel Yell. I remember that crap burned like hell going down.

I kinda, sorta, almost remember Fighting Cock from some younger day binges but I won't swear to it (or anything else that may have happened :p)