• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Register software

peter_a

Hi there,

I'm really happy to announce that we've finished the first version of Cigar Register, a brand new cigar management software.

This is a spyware-free & spam-free independent Windows desktop software, designed for cigar collectors. You can find information on cigars, manage your humidors, cigar collection, shopping history, wishlist and store your smoking history with your reviews.

Since it's a non-commercial side project from cigar lovers to cigar lovers, everybody can download it for free at www.cigarregister.com !

homepage-1.jpg

If you have any questions about the software feel free to ask me, I'm one of the developers.

Have to register on their site and confirm that the e-mail address is valid, then a 30 meg download. Download scanned free of viruses.

Installed the program without any trouble and then it quickly errored out trying to run the program. It opened up, but whenever I tried to change from the default cigar database, I received an 'unhandled execption' error and had to close the program.

Looks like a decent program. Lets you create multiple humidors and add cigars from a huge database with notes on each - that is if the program actually works on my system.

I'll remove it and play with it later this weekend.

Anybody else try this and get it to work?

it quickly errored out trying to run the program. It opened up, but whenever I tried to change from the default cigar database, I received an 'unhandled execption' error and had to close the program.

geldor,

during the installation the .net framework version 2 is installed on your system. Problems can occur if you don't have admin rights or if you don't restart your computer when it asks to do that.
Anyway, if you have the time please PM me with all the things you did after installation step by step. We work on each error report personally.

Does it already include a database of cigars? Or is it like Cigar Brief Case in that it has "some" but is missing a whole hellava lot?

Does it include photos of the cigars and such? Little detail here if possible.

Sounds great though, I plan on giving it a run. I've been looking for something that is a lot less work than Cigar Brief Case.

Does it already include a database of cigars? Or is it like Cigar Brief Case in that it has "some" but is missing a whole hellava lot?

Sounds great though, I plan on giving it a run. I've been looking for something that is a lot less work than Cigar Brief Case.

Details from their site say 3800 cigar database.

Brickhouse,

It has a very large cigar database with around 3800 cigars. We worked really hard on creating the most up to date offline cigar database available, we even included the most recent special editions. However, missing items can occur, because you must admit that no cigar database can contain every cigar in the world. Anyways, to overcome this problem we have a very nice community-based solution that we will implement in the upcoming 2.o version, more on this later... :cool: Meanwhile, you can quickly upload the missing cigars.

No photos are included - we didn't want to delay the release just to collect all the permissions and images from the manufacturers. Next to that I'm really against low-res images and the high-res versions would have increased the installation size badly. You can't load your own photos in this version either.

With the drag & drop and advanced feature filters I hope you'll find it much easier to use than previous softwares.

Give it a shot,
Peter

Wow - 30 meg download for cigar software, that's a huge file!

With all due respect, does anyone know these people from Hungary?
Perhaps one of the computer experts on the board can check out
this software before we install stuff on our computers that may
expose us to hacking issues.

No offense Peter - but you have not introduced yourself, just come
straight in with a software program. I'm sure you are a good guy and
it is generous of you to give us free software. However, I for one
have become a skeptic these days. :whistling:

Brian

Brian

Brian,

I'm REALLY sorry to see that you're skeptic. :( I don't really know what is it you'd like to know about me and our development team - our short introduction can be read on our website. We're cigar fans from Hungary and we had one thing in common - we missed a normal, modern cigar software. We worked on it as a side project, that means we make our living elsewhere, thus we're not desperate in pulling out money from this. That means:

- you won't be spammed. The registration process only shows us how many people are downloading the software and how many times a single user downloads the software.
- you won't get spyware and any other tracking software with the installation. I find those softwares disgusting. Besides, I'm really not interested in the way you use your computer, that's not my business.

I'm a web developer of a hungarian cigar distributor, my partner is a lawyer. As an enterprise web-developer and project manager I'm not the type of a guy who spends his time by sneaking spywares and viruses onto other people's computers, but you can check it with any softwares you want if you don't believe me.

And as a proof that we're serious about what we're doing: just buy the next issue of European Cigar Cult Journal, Europe's most prestigeous cigar magazine: they beleived in the project and we'll be in it in September.

PS: about the 30 MB install: if you check out the installation package you can see that it has two components: the software itself (about 5 MB) and the Microsoft .net framework 2 installation (about 25MB !). That framework is neccessary to run the software, and it is easier to have it in the package than to tell everybody (especially to the average user) that they must download it from one of the subsites of microsoft.

Peter

As a child my father always told me, "nothing is for free". In my numerous years on the face of this earth - so far he's been absolutely correct...

Brian

Brian,

I'm REALLY sorry to see that you're skeptic. :( I don't really know what is it you'd like to know about me and our development team - our short introduction can be read on our website. We're cigar fans from Hungary and we had one thing in common - we missed a normal, modern cigar software. We worked on it as a side project, that means we make our living elsewhere, thus we're not desperate in pulling out money from this. That means:

- you won't be spammed. The registration process only shows us how many people are downloading the software and how many times a single user downloads the software.
- you won't get spyware and any other tracking software with the installation. I find those softwares disgusting. Besides, I'm really not interested in the way you use your computer, that's not my business.

I'm a web developer of a hungarian cigar distributor, my partner is a lawyer. As an enterprise web-developer and project manager I'm not the type of a guy who spends his time by sneaking spywares and viruses onto other people's computers, but you can check it with any softwares you want if you don't believe me.

And as a proof that we're serious about what we're doing: just buy the next issue of European Cigar Cult Journal, Europe's most prestigeous cigar magazine: they beleived in the project and we'll be in it in September.

PS: about the 30 MB install: if you check out the installation package you can see that it has two components: the software itself (about 5 MB) and the Microsoft .net framework 2 installation (about 25MB !). That framework is neccessary to run the software, and it is easier to have it in the package than to tell everybody (especially to the average user) that they must download it from one of the subsites of microsoft.

Peter

Peter, thanks for the software offer. Do you also write? <strike that question - I was mistaken, sorry lack of caffiene!>

Brian, it seems most of the companies 'internet' related info is in order. I also know that 'Peter' is on at least one other cigar board - I don't read or speak Hungarian so I'm not sure if he's distributing software or a 'cigar enthusiast'.

I'll check into the software a little.

<edit - ???>

I've installed the software on 2 systems. Install went off without any problems.

1st one already had NET 2.0 and didn't need to install that part.

2nd system didn't have 2.0 and installed it.

I tried to run the program and got the same error on both systems. I have been in contact with Peter and sent him a detailed error report and screen shots.

I ran Spybot and Ad-Aware before and after installing the software and after running the program. Both spyware programs didn't pick up anything.

My $.02 :D

Well I got it on the 2nd try and just very briefly fumbled through a few things to leave quick feedback before I head out for a nice 'gar.

Initial thoughts:

1. Very nice setup, clearly laid out and very user friendly.

2. Option to change length parameters (mm, inches, cm)

3. Seems to have a nice inventory of cigars already loaded up, found a few missing in a my quick searches, but the main ones are there.

4. Search option, nice...

Haven't tried the humidor stuff yet, but looks easy. Initial feedback is that this is probably the best program of its type I've seen. Thank god I can trash Cigar Brief Case now.

We'll see how this one holds up though :)

I will try it on my win2k server box that I am useing as a workstation/server for now.

Any chance we can get a linux version as well as a mac version.?

Brick,

What happens when you click on the 'My Cigars' button at the bottom left or on the cigar collection/Wish list top left.

That is when I get an error and have to close the program.

My two cents. If it's free and a new program all in one it's going to be really really buggy for the first couple of versions. I remember when Firefox came out and how slow and full of bugs it was. Jump ahead eight generations and it's now better than internet Explorer in almost every thing.

Maybe this needs to cook a alittle before it's done

So, no Mac version, I take it...

Are you seriously going to make me reboot into Windoze?

(loves his Macbook Pro...)

Brick,

What happens when you click on the 'My Cigars' button at the bottom left or on the cigar collection/Wish list top left.

That is when I get an error and have to close the program.

Looks promising, however, my experience thus far:

1.)Downloaded file went fine.
2.)Installation went fine.
3.)Try to actually do anything and I get the same type error as Geldor1.

Sent the error message to Peter_a.
Edited to remove error message from thread.