• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Car. Torano Exodus 1959 - Toro

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
# Car. Torano Exodus 1959 - Toro
# Size: 6 x 50
# Shape: Toro
# Wrapper: Honduras
# Filler: Hon., Mex., Nic.
# Binder: Honduras

I got this cigar in a sampler and have to say that just by looks alone it definitely stood out right away. It had a beautiful silky dark wrapper with a perfect oily sheen. The appearance and construction were as good as it gets and would rival any premium smoke out there.

The prelit smell was filled with smooth tobacco and slight hints of something sweet. The cap popped off just right and it lit like a dream. Right away I noticed something a bit different and almost a bit aromatic/sweet that I am not accustomed to. My wife even made the comment that she thought it “smelled great” and from her that’s big. The draw was just right, not too tight where you are sucking for air, and not too loose. This thing produced HUGE amounts of smoke throughout the entire hour and a half that I spent with it. The ash was a nice light grey, although it fell earlier then expected. I had no problems with the burn and smoked 5 of 6 inches without the need for a touchup or correction.

Now the letdown for me.

Taste - While this is a very enjoyable and relaxing smoke, I expected a bit more based on the wonderful construction and dark wrapper. Don’t get me wrong, it tasted great, it just lacked in overall flavor and complexity. I would say this is a medium bodied smoke with earthy tones and creamy hints of cocoa. I almost started to taste the spice that I was looking for during the last 1/3 but it never came through. Keep in mind that mine was a bit young and I think the flavor would progress and be a bit more complex with age.

Overall - For the money I think this is a great addition to any humidor. I plan to get a box as it is perfect for friends and family who don’t normally smoke and wouldn’t much care for something stronger. I will get back to you with another review after I have aged a few of these for a while.

b_193227.jpg

b_193503.jpg

b_194454.jpg

Thanks so much for the excellent review. I very much agree with you. I've been unlucky with Torano's. I'm aware that several lines are thought to be fantastic, I guess I've yet to try one.

Thanks for the review. I have to agree, like you I got one in a sampler and enjoyed the smoke. I even bought another to let it set for a while.

Later,

Ken

Nice review! :thumbs:

Your experience with it was way different than mine, though. My brother and I each got one in a sampler. We both said the same thing about it......it was pretty much all spice and power. One of those that doesn't do much more than make you salivate and gag.

Pretty much everything I've had from CI has been hadnled very well, but I have to wonder if these were mishandled somewhere along the line. I really doubt the inconsistency is from the factory.

Based on your review, I might give them another shot and see what I get.

I tend to agree with your review of this particular cigar, but I always generally keep in my humi a few Virtuosos (Crescendos or Maestros). Damn good cigar in the Torano line if you ask me, and you really can't go wrong with it.

My brother and I each got one in a sampler. We both said the same thing about it......it was pretty much all spice and power. One of those that doesn't do much more than make you salivate and gag.

This was exactly my experience as well. This was probably one of the best looking cigars I've ever seen but it flat out kicked my ass. I couldn't get past the first inch.

Wilkey

My brother and I each got one in a sampler. We both said the same thing about it......it was pretty much all spice and power. One of those that doesn't do much more than make you salivate and gag.

This was exactly my experience as well. This was probably one of the best looking cigars I've ever seen but it flat out kicked my ass. I couldn't get past the first inch.

Wilkey

Strange that there seems to be such divergent views on this one. I understand that everyones' tastes are different, but when some describe it as damn near unsmokable while others call it "medium bodied," something seems odd to me.

The nicotine doesn't bother me, as I'm a cigarette smoker (as is my brother). I'd pretty mcuh call the one I had "acrid". The only other thing I've smoked that did me this way was a RP Sungrown. That thing was gnarly! It had me scared to smoke an Edge, but I've had two "missles" now, and really like them. Matter of fact I've got a couple of torpedo maddies waiting to go right now and am looking forward to them.

I'm going to have to buy another Exodus and see what's up.

Agreed, it is strange. I am thinking that my palette may have been fried the night I tried this particular smoke. I was actually just thinking about this cigar and planning to buy a box soon. Look forward to hearing what you all get from your second time around with it.

DD

Wilkey

Strange that there seems to be such divergent views on this one. I understand that everyones' tastes are different, but when some describe it as damn near unsmokable while others call it "medium bodied," something seems odd to me.

The nicotine doesn't bother me, as I'm a cigarette smoker (as is my brother). I'd pretty mcuh call the one I had "acrid". The only other thing I've smoked that did me this way was a RP Sungrown. That thing was gnarly! It had me scared to smoke an Edge, but I've had two "missles" now, and really like them. Matter of fact I've got a couple of torpedo maddies waiting to go right now and am looking forward to them.

I'm going to have to buy another Exodus and see what's up.

That's fascinating. I didn't care for the RP Sungrown but it didn't strike me as strong or harsh at all. In fact, it struck me as sort of dull.

Wilkey

Hmmm...I just had one of these last night and did not find it strong at all. Good medium-bodied, choclately smoke to me. Would definitely like to get some more.

Seems we have a bit of a mystery here....maybe worth doing a large group tasting.

Your right Ginseng. This is interesting. I love this cigar. I don't find it to be strong as far as nicotine goes. And I find it to be medium...maybe medium-full in body.

Personally, I wish these were less expensive.

Nice review, sorry you didn't like it but I really enjoy these. They aren't overly complex thats true, but they do have really enjoyable flavor. As a Torano nut I always suggest the Signature line as my absolute favorite. Always wonderful construction and plenty of flavor a nice medium-full body, really good and not too pricey either.

CYG

One possible explanation for the divergent views on the '59 as well as the RP Sungrown is both are better with age. It takes some of the bite out and adds a little complexity. Also, the RPs are easily ruined when exposed to low humidity.

I recently smoked a RP Sungrown mailed to me in the heat of summer. It had a couple years on it but was not packaged to withstand the heat(one, thin, old bag). Yuck! It was one of the worst cigars I've tried to smoke!

However, differences in taste can explain much of the differences in experience.

LOL! I think this is great. One reason why some people love some cigars and hate others ... personal preference. I like the CT Exodus 1959. I find them medium bodied, not very spicy, chocolatey is a good word, but very one dimensional. It didn't change much for me, but was still a good cheap smoke for when I was too intexicated to fully enjoy a better cigar. :thumbs:

Interesting I am not known to care for what is considered strong cigars but this is one of my favorites and I do not consider it strong more medium.

I got some of these from my local B&M they've been resting about 2 months. Came highly recomened by the guy at the counter. Now I'm a little dissapointed I bought them.

One possible explanation for the divergent views on the '59 as well as the RP Sungrown is both are better with age. It takes some of the bite out and adds a little complexity. Also, the RPs are easily ruined when exposed to low humidity.

I recently smoked a RP Sungrown mailed to me in the heat of summer. It had a couple years on it but was not packaged to withstand the heat(one, thin, old bag). Yuck! It was one of the worst cigars I've tried to smoke!

However, differences in taste can explain much of the differences in experience.

Good point Steve. The super strong 59's I've smoked were fresh. I have one left that I will age for a few months and try again. Strenght aside, this is still one of the most attractive cigars I've seen.

Wilkey

Good point Steve. The super strong 59's I've smoked were fresh. I have one left that I will age for a few months and try again. Strenght aside, this is still one of the most attractive cigars I've seen.

Wilkey

I completely agree. I honestly think this may be the best looking cigar I have seen to date. IMO this along with the fact that it is a good tasting cigar make it well worth the buy.

I got some of these from my local B&M they've been resting about 2 months. Came highly recomened by the guy at the counter. Now I'm a little dissapointed I bought them.
Why? Make up your mind for yourself. Use these posts as a guide only and then after you smoke you can come back and re-read them again. Once you determine whose tastes yours resemble, then you can try to take some of their future recomendations. It is all subjective as evidenced by this thread so far. Good Luck!

The '59 is my favorite but I usually only smoke the double corona or perfecto. They definately improve given some time in the proper environment.

I keep mine in 65% humidity with beads. I also have one humidor with only Torano Signatures, Virtuoso Forte and '59s.

Baron