• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon, Decanter Style bottle, no additional packaging, no age statement, 750ml, 90 proof, about $22. Only avalable in Kentucky and possibly Japan at the moment.

Four%20Roses%20Small%20Batch.JPG

Thanks to Dan's Four Roses buy a number of us were able to get a bottle of this hard to find new bourbon. The label says it is a blend of four original bourbons to make this particular blend. However, Four Roses has been using 10 different mash bills in their whiskey for over 50 years and one has to wonder if these four are the same albeit mixed in different amounts or if they are something unique to this product.

I'm pretty sure I'm over the cold that has bothered me for the last week. At least I'm not hacking every 10 minutes like I was yesterday and my head has cleared up so I thought I can give a decent review of this and if anything changes later on I can edit to reflect that.

After working for 10 hours today I looked forward to some down time with a nice size pour in my glass. The color is a fairly light amber yellow which could mean that this is a fairly young whiskey say on the order of 6 years old or so. The nose is smooth without a pungent alcohol smell. Light cedar tones mix with citrus and vanilla which becomes more pronounced the longer you let it sit in the glass. The taste is soft with no alcohol burn...just a tingle to let you know this is a full 90 proof whiskey. Mint rides on top of a good vanilla backbone with a raisin and oak undercurrent. The finish is on the short side of medium (but that may be because of the last vestiges of my cold) and has a distinct chocolate portion that lasts until the very end.

Pretty good bourbon and well worth the $22 asking price if you ever run across some. As with all the new Four Roses bottles it looks nice too.

Thanks again Dan for allowing me in your buy.

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed the Four Roses, but my palate is not that refined. Maybe I will try it with this review in front of me.

Ken

I hope a few others that picked up a bottle will chime in about what they thought.

Thanks to Dan, I was able to grab a couple bottles. :thumbs:
Like Ken, my palete is VERY unrefined!!! But, I do know that I really enjoy this bourbon!!! I am still getting used to drinking stuff with no mixers, and this Four Roses makes it very easy, and enjoyable for this NEWB!!!

Thanks for the review AVB!!! I'm going to read this the next time I pour a glass of it!!!

Take care!

Dan shipped out a case of this and I hoped a few would have been opened by now. Ppl must be saving them to send to me for Xmas :p

Dan shipped out a case of this and I hoped a few would have been opened by now. Ppl must be saving them to send to me for Xmas :p

Nope, not saving for Xmas. My bottle is nearly gone. There are only about 3 fingers left in the bottle. While I am not skilled enough to give a very eloquent review about the flavors and fragences and such, I can tell you that I thought it was smooth and tasty. Different flavor profile from some of the bourbons that seem in my humble opinion more robust, like Pappy vW, GT Stagg and Black Maple Hill. In my very humble opinion...while it may have a thinner flavor profile with less "charred oak" flavor and a shorter finish, it was very enjoyable and would be one of my go to bourbons were it available locally. I had been on a Woodford kick lately and I prefer the crisper 4 Roses at this point. It was indeed very easy to consume over ice.

oops..... wrong thread.

But, I haven't opened mine as of yet either. Hopefully by this weekend I can add something to your tasting notes AVB.

:cool:

I'm sitting with a glass of this right now, probably about 3 fingers and an ice cube. I'm not a profession booze guy, but I'm noticing vanillla and maybe oak with a certain a touch of a sweetness (unlike Jack Daniels, which is cloying). Overall, it's pretty fantastic and definitely would be one of my go to bourbons if it wasn't so rare. It's the best bourbon I've had under $30 for sure.

My friend who took the other bottle really enjoys it also. He said it made a spectacular Manhattan.

Thanks again to Dan for getting the group buy and to AVB for the review.

Believe it or not I have not even opened a bottle. Haven't had the time.., will add to it eventually.

-D

Well I have put down about 2 bottles over the past month and it is a very smooth bourbon almost to soft. It doesn't really burn at all, which to me is something I enjoy when drinking bourbon. My particluar avenue with this bourbon would be a great Manhattan. It just has the smoothness of a great martini maker. Not adry bourbon at all.. Drink it if ya can get it..

I recently obtained another bottle of the small batch and a bottle of single barrell. The neightbor's father lives in Louisville and he brought home for the holidays a bottle of each.

Anyone had the single barrell Four Roses?

Edit: post retracted see subsequent posts.

I expected better. You didn't even try to find it. :whistling:

You are correct, I did not try and find it. Then it dawned on me that there was a discussion about the single barrel. Thanks for pointing it out.