• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A “Small” project

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Well I felt an intense jealousy from reading about walk-in humidors and closets turned into humidors, so much so that I decided to do a little project of my own. I went down to some of the antique shops littered around old down town and amidst a sea of junk I found this Jewel of a cabinet. The lady let me have it for just a little over $100. :thumbs:

opus087.jpg

opus088.jpg

opus089.jpg

The interior dimensions for the Cabinet are 23”x 22”x 16” and it stands a little over 4 feet high.

opus086.jpg

Total time to gut old plywood shelves, 10 minutes.

opus090.jpg

My brother helped me pick it up and I headed off to Lowe’s to get an 8’x4’ piece of Lauan plywood (Philippine Mahogany) like the kind Atuck used in his walk-in. I also picked up some 2mil plastic painter sheeting and doubled it as I lined the cabinet. Once that was finished I started to measure and cut. Now let me just say that I’m no stranger to general contractor work, but this level of detail is pretty foreign to me and the phrase “bull in a china cabinet” might apply to my detail work here. I had to cut around some wedges that left some large gaps and I had to re-level the entire cabinet before I could do anything else and plan on covering all the seams with either some 1x2 or some molding and this should hopefully take care of it. I used door weather stripping around the edges of the door and the seal looks tight.

opus092.jpg

Took this around 11:45 p.m. ;)

I’ve been looking online for a source of Spanish cedar to make a shelf, but I came across a few sites that sell cedar trays and thought I might buy two from Cubancrafters for $20 and make them into drawers.

More to come :D

Looks nice, but I'm curious how will You make it airtight :)

wow, that looks pretty good. What about the doors? are you going to line the insides too, or are they made of wood that can handle the humidity without warping?

With a high wifely approval aspect you're in fat city! Looking pretty good so far.

The interior of the Cabinet was lined with 2 mil plastic sheeting that I doubled so it's really 4mil thick. The doors will be covered with lauan and that'll probably be done today.

Anyone know of another supplier of Cedar trays or Spanish cedar wood that I can use to make shelfs or drawers?

Try one of these

One

Two I've used this store myself.

The interior of the Cabinet was lined with 2 mil plastic sheeting that I doubled so it's really 4mil thick. The doors will be covered with lauan and that'll probably be done today.

Anyone know of another supplier of Cedar trays or Spanish cedar wood that I can use to make shelfs or drawers?

Another thought for shelves are those plastic-coated wire closet shelves available at your local home improvement store. You can then use cedar cigar boxes for singles, etc.

I would get full extension glides, but, hey, I'm lazy!!

Marc, if you're patient, you can always get some great deals on Spanish Cedar on e-bay. I've gotten a lot of it there, and never had to worry about a bidding war, I've always been the only bidder.

Sorry, beautiful work by the way. I'm in the process right now of drawing up plans for a large armoire, so any projects I see tend to get my butt moving just a little quicker.

There is a list of commercial sources of spanish cedar somewhere in there.

ICG FAQ

the wall lumber co. sells it under the heading of thin craft woods, not particularly cheap.

Looks excellent! Can't wait to see the finished interior.

Can't you use some of that lauan to make some shelves?

Buy a drawer roller at the hardware store and make a pull out shelf with some of that stuff.

Can't you use some of that lauan to make some shelves?

The Lauan is to thin to make a shelf or drawer out of.

I would use a thicker mohagany lumber to make the shelves with. Mohagany is used in lots of large humidors.

Nice project, by the way!! :thumbs:

Well the bull work of the interior is finished and I've done as much as I can this weekend. Molding covered up the seams well and I added Lauan panels to the door. I currently seasoning to see just how well the seal holds. :thumbs:

Thanks for the sources on Spanish cedar. I'm thinking about buying some prebuilt cedar trays and making drawers out of them. I'll check around some local lumber yards for Mahogany for the shelfs, I'm thinking that a 1/2 inch sheet should do it as long as I cut vents into it.

Price so far is under $200, but with the trays and the extra Mahogany shelf and some more beads from Viper, I'm looking at around $220 and change. :whistling: A bit more than what I wanted to spend, but still way cheaper than a prebuilt humidor cabinet. :cool:

opus093-1.jpg

Some Boxes to give you a sense of scale.

opus095-1.jpg

My current desktop rests nicely on top :cool:

opus096-1.jpg

I'm jealous....

are you going to touch up the outside of the cabinet as well? also, about the shelving, maybe you can break down some cedar boxes and use that? just gotta figure out a way to piece it all together.