• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guiness Extra Stout vs. Draught

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
Cooked out with my dad this last weekend. He bought some Guiness as it is a favorite of mine. He picked up the extra stout, where as I usually grab the Draught.

What do they do different in the brewing process for this? I really like the Draught better.....

Jason

They're quite a bit different. Basically the Extra Stout sucks ass. It has a higher alcohol content then the Draught, and the taste really isn't what you're expecting from Guinness. Basically the Draught tries to taste like a Guinness you would order in a bar, the Extra Stout I have no idea what they were thinking.

Here's an interesting article on Guinness from beveragebusiness.com, link

An excerpt...

"There was one more question in that set, about whether the beer in the can is the same as the beer in the keg. It is, but it's not the same beer as is in the bottle. If you look at the labels on the can and the bottle, you'll see that while the can contains Guinness Stout (as does the keg), the bottle contains Guinness Extra Stout. That's not just marketing hype, that's a very different beer. It has half again as much alcohol, a much fuller body, and a lot more hops, exactly what you'd expect in a beer called Extra Stout.

There are actually more than fifteen different variations of stout under the Guinness name in various parts of the world, all the way up to the heavyweight Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. This monster 7.5 percent alcohol stout is brewed specially strong for the tropics, where a beer needs to be big enough to take care of itself in the hot weather. But most Massachusetts customers are only interested in two kinds of Guinness; the Guinness Stout they get here and the Guinness Stout they can get in Ireland. "It's different," they say, "the Irish keep the good stuff over there! It's stronger, it's smoother, it's better!" Some even believe "American Guinness" is brewed in this country."

Here's an interesting article on Guinness from beveragebusiness.com, link

An excerpt...

"There was one more question in that set, about whether the beer in the can is the same as the beer in the keg. It is, but it's not the same beer as is in the bottle. If you look at the labels on the can and the bottle, you'll see that while the can contains Guinness Stout (as does the keg), the bottle contains Guinness Extra Stout. That's not just marketing hype, that's a very different beer. It has half again as much alcohol, a much fuller body, and a lot more hops, exactly what you'd expect in a beer called Extra Stout.

There are actually more than fifteen different variations of stout under the Guinness name in various parts of the world, all the way up to the heavyweight Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. This monster 7.5 percent alcohol stout is brewed specially strong for the tropics, where a beer needs to be big enough to take care of itself in the hot weather. But most Massachusetts customers are only interested in two kinds of Guinness; the Guinness Stout they get here and the Guinness Stout they can get in Ireland. "It's different," they say, "the Irish keep the good stuff over there! It's stronger, it's smoother, it's better!" Some even believe "American Guinness" is brewed in this country."

Yep, you're right. When I referred to the Guinness Extra Stout having a higher alcohol content, I had the "Guinness Foreign Extra Stout" when I was overseas, it has 7.5% alcohol and tasted terribly. There is a Guinness Draught now in a bottle that is very good, the same as what's in the Guinness Draught cans.

The breakdown is:

968922m.jpg
Good.
17556b.jpg
Good.

guinness.jpg
Bad.

I really like the draught, if I am considering Guiness available in the states. I think I have had a Stout, in a bottle. It had the small CO2 cartidge in it.

I do agree, the Guiness they pour in Ireland is totally different!! What ever runs out the tapper lines in Dublin is far and away better that what we have to choose from.

I remember getting the tour, and afterward they give everyone a full pint of Guiness. I'd say 60-70% of the people would not even touch the stuff. Some friends from the hostel and I sat there for an hour taking samplers others didn't want. Awesome.

Can't be a nice, thick stout.....

I have been a fan of the Extra Stout for a long time. However, when I am out and can get Stout on tap, I'm a pretty happy camper.

Wilkey

I happen to love both the regular stout and the Extra stout. Different flavors, both tasty.

To quote the Guinness rep when I asked him what the difference was..."It's more stouty". Gee thanks.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Brett chimed in on this thread...he's a stockholder... :D

Having personally flown to Ireland just to drink Guinness...Its like comparing night and day here. I've had pints all over the USA that have rivaled what I had in Dublin and also at the Guinness plant itself. The Extra Stout seems to be more bitter vs the Draught being smooth. Unfortunately most of the Guinness in the USA comes from the Canada plant so you dont even see what Ireland puts out here. There is a place in KC that gets some killer Guinness on tap and get my 2 :thumbs: of approval. Definitely the best in the USA I've had and rivals Dublin every time.

Having personally flown to Ireland just to drink Guinness...Its like comparing night and day here. I've had pints all over the USA that have rivaled what I had in Dublin and also at the Guinness plant itself. The Extra Stout seems to be more bitter vs the Draught being smooth. Unfortunately most of the Guinness in the USA comes from the Canada plant so you dont even see what Ireland puts out here. There is a place in KC that gets some killer Guinness on tap and get my 2 :thumbs: of approval. Definitely the best in the USA I've had and rivals Dublin every time.

Hey Peat,

Any way to tell from the lot labeling on the can/bottle where it was brewed? I have the secret coding from the Yuengling brewery around here somewhere where you can tell where and when it was brewed.

There is bar here locally that pours a "triple pour, nitrogen charged" pint. To me it's much more dense than a normal draught. I could be nuts though..

Oh yeah..and if it's not SCOTTISH it's FOOKIN CRRRRAAPP!!!...except for Guinness. :p

According to Guinness all Guinness Draught sold in the United States is brewed in Dublin, Ireland. The most likely reason for a variance in taste is problems with the gas ratio and dispensing systems. From the Guinness web-site ... link

"Is it true that you get a much better pint of GUINNESS® beer in Ireland?

GUINNESS® is GUINNESS® - wherever you are. We always use pure, fresh water from natural local sources for the GUINNESS® beer brewed outside Ireland. That said, in blind tests (with a bunch of highly cynical journalists) none of our sample could tell the difference between Irish-brewed GUINNESS® and the locally produced variety. All the GUINNESS® sold in the UK, Ireland and North America is brewed in Ireland at the historic St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin."

Also from the article I linked in my earlier post...

"Sorry, but it's just not so. Mark Griffin happily allowed himself to be pinned down on this point. "Every drop of Guinness you get in America is brewed in Dublin," he started out. Okay, but do they brew it differently for the US market? More to the point, is the stuff that comes out of the taps in Boston and Worcester the same as the stuff that comes out of the taps in Dublin and Killarney? Mark made it plain. "The beer that ends up in the cellar of a pub in Boston could just as easily wind up in a the cellar of a pub in Dublin. It's the same." So apart from the "location factor" that gives any beer consumed on vacation seem better, why do people believe Guinness is better in Ireland? "It only takes about fourteen days to get here, so travel's not really an issue," says Mark. "What it really comes down to is how the publican takes care of his draft system."

Perhaps there is a Guinness plant in Canada, however I would guess they are not making secret shipments to the U.S. market. ??? :whistling:

edit: BTW, I just enjoyed a Guinness Draught after work. :cool:

The extra stout is more bitter and somehow feels very rough going down. The Draught on the other hand with the pasteurized stout is a wonderful brew, the king of dark beers in my eyes. Three bottles or two pints fills me up, and its the choice of beer I like to relax with. Extra smooth, has a dark chocolate/coffee taste to it that I don't get with the extra stout.

You hand me a guiness I will drink it. It doesn't matter what it is.

I am only familiar with the regular Draught variety, and have been more than satisfied with it so far. :thumbs:

I love the Draught in the winter time... Not quite as much when it's warm out.

I've never understood why so many people like Guinness. I think it's watery and flavorless.

Nick