• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
A bomb from NullSmurf - Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, Batch #8, 94 proof, 750ml standard tall bottle with built in jigger on top, no other packaging, $55 list price, available in Colorado and Binnys in Chicago only at moment but soon to expand.

Stranahans.JPG

One of the few non-southern whiskies made in the US Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey is a collaboration between the Flying Dog Brewpub owned by George Strananhan, which is next door, and Jess Graber the majority owner of Stranahan's Whiskey. Stranahans's uses 3,000 gallons of wash from the pub to distill 450 gallons of white dog which is distilled again into 250 gallons of raw 140 proof whiskey. Think of this as an American Single Malt and you'd be right on target. Unlike it's Scottish counterparts, Stranahan's is stored in a climate controlled rick house so that the low humidity of the surrounding area doesn't take more then a 4% "Angel's Share" per year instead of the 10% that would be lost with out the climate control.

The constant heat and temperature also influences the aging cycle of the whiskey and Jake Niorris the head distiller estimates that two years under these conditions are equal to about four years at other distilleries. Stranahan's also used heavily charred new American oak barrels to age its whiskey like a bourbon instead of the 2nd fill used bourbon casks like most Scotch. This imparts more of a sweetness to the whiskey then what would be normal for Scotch too. Also, they use a patented distillation process which again makes it slightly different then what Scotch would be.

So enough history and chit-chat, what's it like? The color is a dark amber and much darker then what you would expect from something that was distilled on the 17th of December 2004. At just over 2 years old this is as dark as some 10 yo bourbon. The color in the glass lightens only a little and the nose is smooth with caramel and vanilla. Tasting brings up a very slight alcohol burn but is overall very smooth too with a richness and depth beyond the short 2 years in cask. Vanilla and apple butter mix with a nice malt background which gets even better with a few drops of water added. The finish is slightly drying on the roof of the mouth but the tongue and sides enjoy an oaky vanilla for a medium length of time.

I would never have thought a 2 year old whiskey could be this good and with Flying Dog's purchase of the Frederick Brewery (renamed Wild Goose Brewery) in Frederick, MD we may see an east coast version of this yet. Also, they are experimenting with a Cabernet Franc finish using casks from Colorado's Creekside Cellars winery which should be ready in a few years. At 2 years this is good, very good, at 10 it should be outstanding. This is an ACE and I am so grateful to NullSmurf for sending me a bottle. Do yourself a favor and track this down!

Once again... Amazing review bro!!!
This sounds like something I would really like!!!

:thumbs:

Great review AVB! I just cracked my bottle last night while Nullsmurf and I herf'd and my thoughts were very similar to yours. I tasted ripe apples, butter, vanilla and a hint of what I thought was cinnamon. I thought it was surprisingly sweet and well rounded and my comment was "I can't believe the color and flavor this has for a 2 year old whiskey!" and Bruce agreed. Honestly I didn't expect much considering the age and the fact that this was their first shot at it, but man I was wrong. Thanks for the review!

Last night! I should be commenting on your review :D

Last night! I should be commenting on your review :D
I was actually going to write my comments up on the other thread today but I got busy with end of month sh*t at work. Your insight is far better then anything I had ready to write anyway.

It sounds like nice whiskey and only 2 years old.
I'm sure they have whiskey still in the barrel. If so, it shoud be a great whiskey in 10 to 12 years.

I'm so glad it got a good review from you, Ray! All I can say is that I like it, really like it. Jonas' brother took the nose and immediately said apples. I sniffed on it until my eyes began to water and I think I finally convinced myself that it did indeed have a mild fruity odor. I just recall Doc's words of wisdom after I commented that I couldn't discern some of the flavors I'd heard about in a specific cigar. All I know is that I like it.

Had a little bit more tonight, I'm still impressed :thumbs:

Very nice gentlemen!

I'd be willing to pay for a bottle...Bruce or Jonas, let me know!

Rob

This sounds awesome, and something worth adding to the collection for sure!

there are still a half dozen bottles on the shelf. Anyone interested, please PM me.

Pretty sure if you buy a few more they'll look into getting resupplied. I think this will be a big hit at the scotch herf this year.

I just had a glass of this from a bottle I purchased a few weeks ago out in CO. Not bad at all. The vanilla oak flavor that AVB notes in his review was very evident in my sample. My wife enjoyed hers as well, however remarked, "I'd still rather have a glass of Booker's"!

Old thread...but I live in California and I can't find a bottle of this. Can anyone help?
Tony

Our good CP friend Seth at Shoppers Vineyard carries it and ships. See here

Darn it! Out of stock at Shopper's Vineyard. Any clue on when there will be more? Another place near the west coast I could order that will ship to CA?

I was looking for a bottle of this, and since I live in California, it isn't available in my neck of the woods. Thanks goes out to AVB for pointing me in the direction of a shop, but alas...out of stock :blush:
But then....Khari a FOG here offered to help me out! He's going to locate a bottle on Monday for me. As a newbie here i certainly appreciate the close nit community - whose members are willing to help out a newbie. A HUGE Thanks to Khari! :D
And thank you AVB ;)
Tony

Can't claim to be a FOG but I'm glad to assist, Tony!