• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ommegang - Ommegeddon

It is a good beer and a nice introduction into wild ales if you have never had one, as it isn't as intense as some others. Brettanomyces is a funky, sour yeast that takes a little getting used to. Definitely enjoy the beer for a bit before deciding to light up as these types tend to dominate the palate and may not compliment a cigar all that well. Let me know what you think. :thumbs:

In most beer styles, Brettanomyces is viewed as a contaminant and the characteristics it imparts are considered unwelcome "off-flavours". However, in some styles -- particularly certain traditional Belgian ales -- it is appreciated and encouraged. Lambic and gueuze owe their unique flavour profiles to Brettanomyces, and it is also found in Oud Bruin and Flanders red ale. Commercial examples of these styles include Liefmans Brown Ale, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and Duchesse de Bourgogne. The Orval Trappist monastery is unique in crafting the only Trappist beer with Brettanomyces charateristics. In Orval's case, the brewers add the yeast to the beer at bottling.

I really like the other Ommegang brews, but for some reason this one didn't really make much on an impression on me. Don't drink it too cold. 50-55 will bring out the funk.

Like Jonas said, might not be the best with a cigar.

It's still a little young IMO. If you haven't popped this one already, I would rec. that you celler it till spring to let the brett. gain a good foothold on the beer before you try it. Ommegang only adds the brett. at bottling, and it can take a few months till it gains a good wild character to it. If you try this now I would suggest picking up another bottle and giving it a little age to taste how the flavor profile of the brett. evolves and changes. That's my 2 cents on the issue...as far as what to smoke with it, I (like others) feel this is a beer best enjoyed on its own. Save the smokes for another beer, but YMMV.

It's still a little young IMO. If you haven't popped this one already, I would rec. that you celler it till spring to let the brett. gain a good foothold on the beer before you try it. Ommegang only adds the brett. at bottling, and it can take a few months till it gains a good wild character to it. If you try this now I would suggest picking up another bottle and giving it a little age to taste how the flavor profile of the brett. evolves and changes. That's my 2 cents on the issue...as far as what to smoke with it, I (like others) feel this is a beer best enjoyed on its own. Save the smokes for another beer, but YMMV.

I might just do that. I will make sure to bring my bottle up to 50/55 before drinking.

An update. I drank this about a week ago. It was great. I wish I had a case. I agree it is a little bit too light, or subtle to drink with heavy cigars