• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Last night I finally found the time to go out in the garage with a nice smoke and a chance to do my review! Most of all I wanted to make sure I had the time to sit and really enjoy this great scotch and be able to take some notes and do a proper review.

I paired this up with an Opus X fuente fuente; normally a great smoke, but mine proved to be pretty hard to keep lit, but the flavors still went together very well.

For my review, I poured a nice 2 finger dram over 3 ice cubes. This is how I normally drink my scotch and wanted to do the same for review purposes.

The color of this scotch is nice and golden. As far at the color spectrum for scotches which range from a clear gin to deep liquorice, this one falls right about in the middle. Appearance is nice and clear, the color bright.

Aroma-Unreduced. When I smell this scotch before adding any water or ice cubes to it, it actually confuses me. I try my best to pick up identifiable smells, but I all really pick up is a sweet, buttery like smell that quickly turns to a tingly feel in my nose from the alcohol I guess.

Aroma-Reduced. Once the ice is added to it and its had a couple of minutes to sit, I still pick up the same aroma, but now its smoother and a bit more complex. I think you could spend the entire evening trying to pick out all the little intricacy's that this one produces.

Upon initial taste, I find this scotch to be very rich, and very complex. It leaves your mouth and tongue with a tingly finish that seems to last a couple of minutes. Before the ice has a chance to melt down at all, it really has a sort of bite to it, but its a good characteristic! I would say mouth feel is both creamy, and astringent. As the ice melts into the scotch, the flavor profile really, really smooths out and gets very balanced! All the same flavor is there, just more subtle.

I have been trying to read about scotches and how to properly review them. One thing I have recently read is that like wine, a whisky can be judged as being good if its well balanced. Well, I would say this one is great then! As complex as it is, but to still be balanced like it is says alot.

The finish is very impressive on this one. It doesn't matter if its poured neat, or on ice, the finish lasts at least a couple minutes. A real nice mouth feel to it and the flavors just keep on coming!

A few notes that I made after lighting the opus.
  • Intense spicyness of the Opus seems to pair very well with the complexity of the scotch
  • The finish of the scotch is apparent first, and then it slowy fades into the taste of the cigar. This was one of my favorite things about the combination.
  • After about 15 minutes on ice and about 5 minutes into the cigar, its apparent its a good match.

The only thing disappointing about tonight was the burn quality of my cigar. It still was a great tasting opus, but I really had some troubles with the draw, and keeping it lit. I guess I need to look into the storage RH of opus and if it should be lower.

Final thoughts.
However you look at it, this is a fantastic scotch. Its very tasty and very easy to drink. If you aren't careful, you could easily put a big dent in this bottle in no time. My favorite thing about it though is how it possesses qualities of both intensity while being smooth at the same time. Its very robust, but balanced at the same time in every way.

All in all, I'm very happy with this dram. It was suggested to me by AVB for the celebration of the birth of my girls, and it did not disappoint. As Ray would say, "While not for everyone and certainly not for every time Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a whiskey enjoyed best with accomplishment. When you know you deserve a whisky as fine as this and have the time to savor it, Blue Label will not let you down. "

Nice review as Ray did say.

Hope to see more in the future.

That's an excellent review of the JW Blue.....

I have felt very similar in opinion on both of the occassions I have been fortunate enough to have a glass.

Dissapointing about your smoke though, I've smoked four of them and no problems yet.

Here's to a better one next go-round!

To be honest, I have only recently been getting back to blends, after a long stay in single-malt land.

It was Chivas Regal (of all blends) that got me back into them.

Is Blue Label really better for the money than say, a Macallan 25 year old?

Since it is only 60% of the cost of the Mac 25 and IMO equally as good I'd have to say yes. Although you are dealing with two very different things sorta like comparing the best chocolate to to the best chocolate cake.

To be honest, I have only recently been getting back to blends, after a long stay in single-malt land.

It was Chivas Regal (of all blends) that got me back into them.

Is Blue Label really better for the money than say, a Macallan 25 year old?

Very nice review. As a new person to blends, single malts, etc etc, I enjoy seeing what the more experienced people like. Certain tastes, etc etc let me know it might be worth it to get a little bottle. Of course that bottle in this case to me is expensive, but like both you and Ray say, it isn't for everyday. My sons first birthday is coming up in a month, and I think I might have to sip a few fingers worth of this to commemorate it! Thanks again guys, and keep those reviews coming!

Don

Although you are dealing with two very different things sorta like comparing the best chocolate to to the best chocolate cake.

That's a great way of putting it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a single malt and other times a blended scotch, rum or cognac. They're different tastes, but I'd put the Johnny Blue and Macallan 25 on the same general level of goodness. :)

This is a very well done review. I have read it several times and thought sure I commented on this before? Great Job HS.

As some of you know Macallan 25 is my favorite dram. Or, it was before the AVB's surprise pass a few weeks ago. I even did a review on it HERE last August. While I think it's really hard to compare the two bottles due to different styles and large difference in cost, I would have to say if you comare value Johnnie Walker Blue wins and by quite a bit.

Look at it this way, you could buy a bottle of of Johnnie Walker Blue, Balvenie 21 Port Wood, and a bottle of Highland Park 18 for about the cost of one bottle of Macallan 25 using THIS as a price index. Or you could be like me and purchase them all.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure when I will get a chance to try the Macallan 25. It took the birth of my twins to pony up the $$ for the blue label.

Some day! :laugh:

My neighbor down the street moved out of the country and gave me about 6 bottles of single malt scotch, including the Macallan 25.

I was never super impressed with the Blue myself, but the gold is one of my favs.
One spirit I recently had that surprised me was Crown Royal XR. It was smooth as silk and I liked it but a little on the tame side in terms of taste/spice popping out at you.

My neighbor down the street moved out of the country and gave me about 6 bottles of single malt scotch, including the Macallan 25.

SWEEEEEET.

I will have to try the blue label then, if you compare it favourably to the Mac 25.

Next time you drink the Blue, try it first neat - then add a few drops of room temp. spring water. Ice really takes away a lot from a glass of top shelf scotch. Think about how 'smooth' or tasteless vodka is ice cold vs. room temperature.

I cannot even imagine drinking Blue with ice (let alone Mac 25).

I feel JWB doesnt hold a candle to the Mac 25 with price being equal, obviously price is not equal so we have to weigh that in.
JWB is a nice pour, but I feel very overrated as far as price goes ($175). I greatly prefer other blends such as Kings Crest 25 and feel even JW Blueis only slightly better than JW Gold. One of the best blends I had to date was the Ballantines 30, but that one is in Mac 25's price range. Just my 2 cents, but I am a bit bias, I am more of a Speyside/Highlands SMSW and bourbon guy.