• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nor'easter

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
rob300c was kind enough to help me out in acquiring a few bottles of these recently. They been on my wish list to try for a while now, and I’m so thankful for the kindness and generosity of all the brothers on this board that have helped me acquire some of these local gems. Thanks again Rob! :thumbs:

IMG_0774.jpg

Style – Belgian Strong Dark Ale
ABV – 11% according to BA (Capt. Lawrence website says 12%)
Brewed In – Pleasantville, New York
Availability – Winter Release

Winter is the time of year when the hearty, full bodied beers come out. New York can get pretty cold in the winter, and what better way to warm up than with a good craft brew. This beer has undergone three fermentations and an aging period in freshly emptied bourbon barrels. The first fermentation created a rich, dark ale, using our Belgian style yeast. The second fermentation was brought about by adding elderberries to the brew, imparting a vinous character to the beer. And the third fermentation occurred in the bottle after the beer had finished aging in the bourbon barrels. Straight from the Captain’s cellar to yours, we hope it helps keeps you warm this winter.

-from the label

Appearance
Pours a VERY dark brown, almost black. The tan head is very thin and has orange highlights. The head has no retention to speak of, and the lacing is minimal at best.

Smell
By far the dominant aroma is that of bourbon. There are however some undertones of molasses, burnt malts, and dark chocolate.

Taste
The smell gave me a hint that this might be different than what I was expecting from a BSDA. The flavor of this beer was completely unique to anything I’ve ever drank. It is almost a cross between an Imperial Stout and a BSDA, and then the aging in bourbon barrels throws in another twist. Up front is the Belgian yeast creates a nice plum flavor, along with and a sweet, tangy fruit that I couldn’t put my finger on until I read the label and then decided it must be the elderberries. There are also burnt malts and vanillas up front. The finish is HUGE bittersweet chocolate and bourbon. The flavors are amazingly complex, and at the same time very well balanced.

Feel
This is the only part of this beer that provided anything other than near perfection for me. While the consistency was very nice, leaving a residual layer and flavor in my mouth, the carbonation was too much for a sipper like this in my opinion.

Verdict
I’ve had many Imperial Stouts, Old Ales, and Barley wines that have been aged in whiskey/whisky barrels, but a Belgian aged this way is completely unique in my experience. The balance and complexity of the flavors are simply amazing. Next time I will drink it in a snifter instead of one of my goblets, which is actually what they say you should use on the Capt. Lawrence website. I can’t really explain why, maybe one of you guys could, but this just seemed to overpower the goblet, and I think the snifter would capture the aroma better. I’ve told Rob that I wish I would have had him send me a case. If you are in a part of the country that this is available, I couldn’t recommend it more.

You beer geeks and your flat beer loving ways!
Personally I love me some carbonation...
I am glad you enjoyed the beer, next time let it 'breath' for 6 hours and that darn carbonation should disapate on ya! :p

Glad you enjoyed it, hopefully enough to suck up those shipping charges! D'oh!

-Rob

This sounds like a beer that I would love to try! Nice review.

At a tasting last year, I got to try a test batch of Boulevard's Quad aged in a bourbon barrel. The strength of the beer held up to the big flavors from the barrel. Really good, one of my top beer experiences of the year. Hopefully they will bottle it.

At a tasting last year, I got to try a test batch of Boulevard's Quad aged in a bourbon barrel. The strength of the beer held up to the big flavors from the barrel. Really good, one of my top beer experiences of the year. Hopefully they will bottle it.

I just saw this Pete. If they do, I believe you have my address... :D