• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Numbskull

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
The California beer bombers (Mas_Puros & kiwifruit) hit me with this a while back. The only other AleSmith beer I’ve had is the Speedway Stout, which is amazing, so I had high hopes for this too.

IMG_0862.jpg

Style – English Barleywine
ABV - 11%
Brewed In – San Diego, CA
Availability – Rotating Release

Appearance
Poured a very vibrant and hazy dark amber. It had a 1 finger head that was light tan and very creamy. The retention of the head was very impressive, and the extremely thick lacking held onto the glass until I was done and rinsed it out. This was an extremely impressive looking brew.

Smell
The nose was very pungent and hoppy. The hops smell was very resiny and produced a nice grapefruit aroma too. There was also some faint hints of sweet, caramel malts.

Taste
The hops and malt really wrestled with each other, but in a very good way. It was also fairly hot, but this wasn't really a bad thing. The flavors upfront were rum, caramel, and citrus. It finished with pungent, bitter hops and dry malt that really lingered on my tongue. The complexity of this was very enjoyable, but at the same time it was very well balanced.

Feel
Very creamy and considering the ABV was pretty smooth. Had a just a little light carbonation which worked perfectly with the consistency and flavors.

Verdict
This was easily one of the best barleywines I’ve had. Everything about it, from the appearance, to the flavors, to how it feels in your mouth was almost perfect. I couldn’t recommend this more. Thanks again to the Cali beer bombers!

The California beer bombers (Mas_Puros & kiwifruit) hit me with this a while back. The only other AleSmith beer I’ve had is the Speedway Stout, which is amazing, so I had high hopes for this too.

Verdict
This was easily one of the best barleywines I’ve had. Everything about it, from the appearance, to the flavors, to how it feels in your mouth was almost perfect. I couldn’t recommend this more. Thanks again to the Cali beer bombers!

California bombers ah who ... what ... ???? ???
I am really glad you enjoyed this! I preferred this over Stone Old Gaurdian...I have an Old Numbskull sleeping right now :whistling: :rolleyes: might have to wake it soon and revisit.

Nice review Justin, I love English Barleywines and based on looks along that is one sexy beer.

I have been eying it for a while over at LS, I think I might have to place an order.

Nice review Justin, I love English Barleywines and based on looks along that is one sexy beer.

I have been eying it for a while over at LS, I think I might have to place an order.

Make sure you get more than one. I think they'll age nicely.

GB?

:sign:

Tell you what Jonas, keep an eye on the Beer PIF... it is coming to me next, so be ready...if I get you I can promise you there will be one in the box. :rolleyes:

I was hoping to wait until they got Speedway back in stock but I have no idea when that will be. Alesmith needs to open distro to Colorado asap!

Make sure you get more than one. I think they'll age nicely.

GB?

:sign:

I am showing BevMo has 19 bottles of Old Numbskull and 9 bottles of Speedway ... :whistling:

If you want to order them for pick up I can swing by pick them up for you and ship them to you.
CA BevMo at the Van Nuys Store

AleSmith...did someone say AleSmith? Mmmmmmmmmm.....

Tell you what Jonas, keep an eye on the Beer PIF... it is coming to me next, so be ready...if I get you I can promise you there will be one in the box. :rolleyes:

Damn, now I am going to have to pay attention!

AleSmith...did someone say AleSmith? Mmmmmmmmmm.....

Don't worry there Mike...You're getting whats coming to you soon enough! :cool:
You're raising the bar on me quite a bit, there! I actually had to sit down today and come up with a list of what I should send you!

LOL not my intention ... I enjoy drinking beer and smoking gars, who better to share with then peeps who enjoy as well. It's my pleasure to supply my fellow brothers!

If you want to order them for pick up I can swing by pick them up for you and ship them to you.
CA BevMo at the Van Nuys Store

You have to tempt me like this don't you...

edit: Do you have a link?
Here you go Justin...
Alesmith Old Numskull Barleywine

Alesmith Speedway Stout

Damn, now I am going to have to pay attention!

:rolleyes: :laugh:

yeah I found out that you need to search the stores around your area to get an idea what is available.

I will be picking up a few things on Monday (PAYDAY!!!! :thumbs: ) so if anyone needs me to pick up for them send me a PM.
Not sure how that works, if you need to specify Mike Sierra is picking up? ???