• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cantillon Kriek

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I haven’t had very many lambics, but when I’m in the mood for something different, and I mean WAY different, they never let me down. This is one of the more readily available lambics in the US, and is considered a standard for traditional Kriek.

IMG_0882.jpg

Style – Fruit Lambic
ABV - 5%
Brewed In – Brussels, Belgium
Availability – Brewed Year-Round

Some interesting info on how this beer is brewed. **LINK**

Appearance
Pours a radiant, clear, light red. The head is stark white, and fades immediately, leaving zero lacing.

Smell
The aroma from this beer is almost like smelling a red wine. I’m not enough of a wino to pick up a specific style, but that is what it makes me think of. There are also hints of cherries and a strong mustiness.

Taste
Wow, what and extremely complex and unique progression of flavors. Starts off upfront with sweet cherries. In the middle it shifts to an acidic wine flavor. The flavor of the wine reminds me of merlot, but with a ton of acidity. It finishes with a very tart, grapefruit flavor.

Feel
Take another sip and let it wander. Note how the beer feels on the palate and its body. Light, heavy, chewy, thin / watery, smooth or coarse? Was the beer flat, over-carbonated?

This beer truly dances in your mouth. There is no carbonation, but the combination of acidity and tartness fools you initially. It is very course, yet refreshing. Has an extremely long finish, leaving a very tart aftertaste for a long while.

Verdict
This surely isn’t something I would drink regularly, but the complexity of the flavors is amazing and very enjoyable. It’s something I will definitely go back to when I’m in the mood for a change of pace. I plan on aging some because from drinking one, I have no idea what might happen with some time in the cellar, but I’m very interested in finding out.

Quite an honest review...especially the 'tart' part. I've never been a fan of lambic's, the one's I've tried were too tart for me.

It's been awhile since my last lambic and I might pick up another for shits & giggles.

Quite an honest review...especially the 'tart' part. I've never been a fan of lambic's, the one's I've tried were too tart for me.

It's been awhile since my last lambic and I might pick up another for shits & giggles.

Don't Rob fool ya, he just likes the Shits & giggles part... :sign:

Nice review Bus, but I have to agree with Rob, lambics just don't do it for me.

I've only had Sam Adams cranberry lambic. There ought to be a law.

Doc.

Firstly, that isn't a real lambic... I've talked with someone with inside knowledge, and they get the flavor with additives, not the correct fermentation process. So geography aside, it's not even a lambic STYLE beer. Secondly, because of the yeast lambic actually can't be brewed year-round (just thought I'd clear that up) because it's only in the air in some months of the year, not all.
Why do I know a bunch about lambics? Besides liking them I also lived in Brussels for 4 years.
Chris

Firstly, that isn't a real lambic... I've talked with someone with inside knowledge, and they get the flavor with additives, not the correct fermentation process. So geography aside, it's not even a lambic STYLE beer. Secondly, because of the yeast lambic actually can't be brewed year-round (just thought I'd clear that up) because it's only in the air in some months of the year, not all.
Why do I know a bunch about lambics? Besides liking them I also lived in Brussels for 4 years.
Chris

Which? Sam Adams or Cantillon?

Chris

Which? Sam Adams or Cantillon?

Sam Adams is not the real lambic. Cantillon is probably the most traditonal lambic brewer out there.

Yeah, that's why I was confused. I think there are others that are brewed equally as traditionally, but none moreso. In regards to the Sam Adams, that stuff is not only not a real lambic, it's aweful.

I really enjoy quality Lambics. I've tossed the idea around of brewing some. Most homebrew shops and get great yeast and bacteria cultures for these beers with a bit of notice. From those I've talked to who have done it, it seems like quite a process and the chance of contaminating other non-lambic batches for months or years is pretty high from the stuff these beers leave around.