• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Thanks to IndyRob for trading me a couple bottles of this beer that I’ve been wanting to try for quite a while. The last couple 3 Floyds beers I’ve had have been a bit disappointing, but this one renewed my faith that they are one of the better breweries around.

IMG_0907.jpg

Style – American Barleywine
ABV – 10.5%
Brewed In – Munster, IN
Availability – Brewed Year Round

Gleaming dark ruby copper color with a fine, creamy head. A breathtaking hefty aroma of brown sugar, grapefruit, molasses, dark bread, and nuts with a smoky hint of roasted malt. Flavor is dripping with caramel, pine, flowers, spices, and citrus. The tongue is slapped with a massive dosage of hops and a sweet, thick maltiness, sticky pine, seductive caramel, finishing with cherries and more bitter, juicy, resinous hops. Altogether, a beautiful amalgamation of everything you’d ever want in a beer.

-bottle

Appearance
The murky, dark copper is so hazy you can’t really see through it at all. There appears to be a fair amount of carbonation as bubbles are pretty prevalent. There is a thin, creamy tan head that has almost no retention, disappearing immediately. The lacing is relatively thick with the hints of a head that remain around the outside of the glass.

Smell
The aroma is dominated by alcohol, but you can also smell sweet fruits, fig maybe, as well as brown sugar and roasted malts. There is a fairly strong smell that I can’t put a finger on, but the best I can describe it as is musty?

Taste
There are all sorts of things going on in the flavor of this. Lots of fruit upfront in the form or raisins, cherry, and a hint of citrus. The sweetness from the caramel malts picks up in the middle, with an almost candyish flavor. Finishes dry with a nice bit of bitter, resiny hops. While you can definitely pick out the hops, they aren’t overpowering like they are in a lot of American barleywines. It’s a bit hot still, which I’m sure will diminish with some age. Other than the alcohol flavor though, this is a very well balanced beer that I’m sure will come together nicely with some down time.

Feel
Despite what I expected from the appearance of this beer, the carbonation is actually very thin, which to me was one of the few things I didn’t like about this beer <cough>rob300cc<cough>. The body is nice and thick and clings to the mouth and palate.

Verdict
I really enjoyed this beer. It is up at the top with the best barleywines that I’ve had. I can’t wait to see what some time in the cellar does for the other bottle I have. Thanks again to Rob for sending me these.

I am patiently waiting to crack open my DL 2007, I am looking forward to trying the other 2 3 Floyds I currently posses. :thumbs: I have been curious about this one as well, thanks for the review.

I am patiently waiting to crack open my DL 2007, I am looking forward to trying the other 2 3 Floyds I currently posses. :thumbs: I have been curious about this one as well, thanks for the review.

I had an Alpha King right before this one that was amazing too. I'm officially back on the 3 Floyds bandwagon!

Great review Justin, I agree that this is an excellent beer albiet a bit on the expensive side.

Hopefully we can hammer a couple of these along with many others in a couple of weeks!!

I had an Alpha King right before this one that was amazing too. I'm officially back on the 3 Floyds bandwagon!
Alpha King is a great beer! Problem is, the stores here never order enough and it's always out. :angry:

Alpha King is a great beer! Problem is, the stores here never order enough and it's always out. :angry:

Pardon me for not feeling sorry for you. :p

Pardon me for not feeling sorry for you. :p
:laugh: Good thing I am not looking for sympathy then!