• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wisconsin Belgian Red

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Thought I'd re-post this since it got axed in the server explosion

New Glarus’s fruit beers get a lot of pub/buzz in the beer world and they have a very small distribution area, but luckily for me, Robert picked me up a bottle of this and their Raspberry Tart. I enjoyed it a lot, although it is totally unlike any beer I’ve ever had.

IMG_0923.jpg

Style – Vegetable/Fruit Beer
ABV – 5.1%
Brewed In – New Glarus, WI
Availability – Brewed Year-Round

You hold the marriage of wine and beer. Belgian Red is a tapestry of flavor. This ale is brewed with whole Montmorency Cherries, Wisconsin farmed wheat and Belgian roasted barleys, balanced by hops we aged in our brewery one full year, and then aged in oak vats.

Over a pound of Door County Cherries in every bottle makes this ale uniquely “Wisconsin”. So unique, in fact, that we applied for a patent. Expect this ale to be ruby red, with a medium body that is highly carbonated and intense with cherry flavor and bouquet. Serve your friends Belgian Red in a brandy snifter or champagne flute and toast the life with ale from the Land of Wisconsin.

Appearance
Pours an extremely murky, dark amber, with bright red highlights. I expected much more of a head for some reason, but it is very thin, with a dark tan color. The head has very little retention, but the lacing is moderate/heavy. This beer almost screams to be drunk.

Smell
There’s not a whole lot to the aroma of this, other than the strong smell of cherries. To me it almost smells like opening a jar of Maraschino cherries. Might be a slight hint of sweet malts too, but the cherries are pretty overwhelming.

Taste
The taste is nothing like what I expected from the aroma. The sweet cherries are still the dominant flavor, but the number of other flavors present is amazing. Belgian yeast, cloves, and hard candy flavor are present upfront. It finishes slightly tart and surprisingly considering the ABV, with a hint of alcohol. This is almost in the same class as a wine cooler, but so much better that I feel bad even making the comparison. I can’t imagine a better dessert drink. It is extremely complex and well balanced.

Feel
Very light and thin, and the flavors explode on your tongue. It’s very heavily carbonated, which works perfectly with the flavors. Very refreshing.

Verdict
I honestly opened this beer expecting to be disappointed, and what followed couldn’t have been more surprising. I really enjoyed this, although it’s about as unbeerlike as any beer could possibly be. On a hot summer day I could see myself sitting on the deck drinking MANY of these. I’m really looking forward to the Raspberry Tart now. Thanks again Robert!

I'll repost my reply as well. The Cherry and Raspberry are fantastic beers. My wife loves them. They are great with chocolate desserts. I like to drink them in a champagne flute.

I'll repost my reply as well. The Cherry and Raspberry are fantastic beers. My wife loves them. They are great with chocolate desserts. I like to drink them in a champagne flute.

The wife and I split the bottle of Raspberry Tart tonight, and I was just as impressed with it. She really enjoyed it too.

Glad to hear you enjoyed both of them Justin! now about that spotted cow..