• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Koningshoeven Quadrupel

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Brouwerij de Koningshoeven has the distinction of being the only Trappist brewery outside of Belgium. The brewery opened in 1884 when the Monks realized that their farm and cattle were going to be insufficient to support themselves. Since 1997, the brewery has been rented and run by a subsidiary of the large commercial brewer Bavaria N.V. under the supervision of the monks. Shortly after Bavaria took over in 1999, the brewery stopped using the Trappist label due to a dispute within the International Trappist Association saying that the brewery no longer met the criteria to be labeled “Trappist”. In September of 2005, the brewery was granted the right to again use the Trappist label, and the monks have resumed a more active part in the day to day operations of the brewery.

As some of you know, I am a self-proclaimed quad whore. I’m always on the lookout for something that might rival Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren 12 at the top of my list. A couple weeks ago, I went into my local shop and they had some 750 mL bottles of these, which is the only Trappist quad I hadn’t yet sampled, so I snagged a couple bottles. Let’s just say I’ll be going back for the rest of them. :D

IMG_0944.jpg

Style – Quadrupel
ABV - 10%
Brewed In – Berkel-Enschot, Netherlands
Availability – Brewed Year Round

Score - 9/10

Appearance
I’m not sure why, but the last couple times my pictures have been coming out very dark despite the same lighting situations as always. As a result, the picture is deceiving. It pours a very bright amber that for lack of a better term, almost glows. It has a thick, probably 2 or 3 finger head that is very fluffy but recedes quickly leaving very thick lacing. There are signs of heavy carbonation.

Smell
The smell is extremely understated and muted. Thin hints of sweet malts and dark fruit are about it.

Taste
Wow, not at all what I was expecting after the disappointing smell! This is very full flavored and amazingly balanced. There is a burst of apple up front. Smelling it again after my first drink, this is what I picked up in the aroma too, not dark fruit. Lots of caramel malts and clove in the middle, and then finished with just a hint of an alcohol bite. IMO, this is everything a quad should aspire to be.

Feel
Somehow this beer manages to be heavily carbonated and creamy at the same time. Coats the palate nicely and is extremely smooth.

Verdict
I have a new staple for my cellar. Like I said, I will be going back to buy the rest of the case and can’t wait to try some with some down time. I’m not sure I like it quite as well as Roche 10, but it’s damn close if I don’t. I definitely recommend trying this if you're a fan of Belgian beer.

Nicely done, Justin. I have had this once or twice but don't remember loving it. I am going to my shop today so I am going to revisit it to see if my opinion has changed. :cool:

Damn you Justin! :laugh: I got no more room for beers :blush: now you got me salivating for a taste ... I may just have to make room by drinking a few :whistling:

Very nice review! :thumbs:

Nice review! After looking at bottles of this a number of times, I guess I will buy some finally!

I don't think I have tried this one, but there are a few places that stock it. Usually I drink the St Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 1o for a quad. Though domestically the Allagash Four and Victory V-12 aren't too bad in their own right. I've never got my hands on a Westy, so can't comment there.

Nice glass btw.