• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Speyburn 10 Highland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Speyburn 10 yo Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky, Metal tube packaging, 750ml, 86 proof, $20-25, available nationwide.

Speyburn%2010.JPG

Started in 1897 for the princely sum of £17,000 Speyburn managed to produce one barrel in time for Queen Victoria's Silver Jubilee. It didn't come easy as the distillery wasn't quite finished yet having no doors or windows. The snow storm on that first distilling day had the men inside working in all of their winter coats, hats and scarves but on December 15th, 1897 the first barrel was filled and bonded.

Speyburn was the first distillery to use a drum malting system, using a set of rotating drums filled with barley instead of spreading it out on the floor as was common practice. In 1968 the owners, United Distillers, stopped that practice and went to a central malting system. Things moved slowly for Speyburn but they remained open continuously suppling whisky for blends and keeping an eye on costs. It was the 1950's before they replaced their horse cart with a tractor! Never enlarged it still has the same two stills (one wash, one spirit) in use producing 2,700,00 liters a year mostly for Inver House blends with a very small percentage going to their single malts. Speyburn is currently the number 9 best selling single malt whisky in the USA.

Pale straw yellow in the glass the nose is a nice blending of malt, citrus and honey which gives high expectations of the tasting to follow. The first taste is slightly drying with a light maltiness before a good dose of mid-palete spice and a bit of sweetness. The finish continues the spicy notes of the tasting before drying out a little. It lasts for a medium length of time.

Overall not a bad little dram, especially at the lower end of the price range. This would be good as a pre-meal scotch since it isn't big or complex enough for after dinner contemplation. A nice drink for a low price. Sometimes that's all you need.

Nice review, AVB. Never tried this one, myself. Maybe some day.

That someday shouldn't be too far off, it's only $25 or less.

Nice review, AVB. Never tried this one, myself. Maybe some day.

I've always seen this one on the shelf but never had the courage to pull the trigger. I'll have to add this to my list of future acquisitions.

I bought a bottle of this when I was a poor college student, and I remember thinking that it was not worth it when a deluxe blend (JW Black, Dewars 12, Chivas, etc.) could be had for a few bucks more. I'm afraid I can't get any more specific with my tasting, as that was before I started keeping notes.

AVB, thanks for the review!

I picked this up friday for $19.00 and was pleasantly suprised. Had a couple of drinks after work and thought that it was a decent single malt for the price. Had a friend over Saturday and I asked if he wanted to try it and without any intro in regard to cost or impressions, he tried it and liked it. We both had the same conclusion: good upfront flavor with some complexities, a little spice in the middle and not much finish to it at all.

You were right on, it's not too bad for $20.00 Speyside