• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Southampton Abbot 12

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
This is widely regarded as one of the best American quads brewed, so I’ve been on the hunt for some for quite a while. I found a great liquor store in RI that carries Southampton stuff a while back and ordered a bottle and was very excited to try it.

IMG_0987.jpg

Style – Quadrupel
ABV – 10.5%
Brewed In – Southampton, NY
Availability – Rotating

A strong, dark ale with notes of raisins, figs, and caramel, and a pronounced “dark rum” character. Deceptively smooth at 10.5% alcohol, this strong ale is ideal as an after-dinner sipping brew.

-www.southamptonbrewery.com

Score – 7.5/10

Appearance
Pours a dark, clear caramel. I’m still trying to figure out why I can’t get a decent pic with my camera anymore? Even with an extremely gentle pour, there is a huge, fluffy white head. The head has very good retention, but surprisingly thin lacing. There are also signs of heavy carbonation.

Smell
The smell is dominated by sweet malts, and lots of them. I also pick up plum, cloves, and a hint of alcohol.

Taste
Molasses and figs up front. Also dark cherries that reminds me of the Flathead cherries we get around here this time of year. Surprisingly, the alcohol flavor is completely absent. It finishes extremely sweet, some much so that it’s almost like a sugar cube. This mellowed a bit as it warmed, but for my taste was far too sweet. I really enjoyed the complexity and all the other flavors, but the over the top sweetness was too much for me.

Feel
This is a bit thin bodied for my tastes. The light carbonation caught me off guard after the surplus of bubbles that are present when looking at it. Despite the lack of body, it does leave a lingering molasses flavor, which is actually very pleasant.

Verdict
I thought this was OK, but far from special. It had nice complexity and very enjoyable flavors, but was just far too sweet. I don’t know if the sweetness would mellow out with some time in the cellar or get worse. As much as I was looking forward to trying this I was definitely let down.

Nice review Justin. I haven't had this one yet but I am with you man, I expect a lot of quads. If you are going to brew something as big and as revered as a Belgian Quadrupel, you better make it great because you are going to be in the company of some outstanding beers.

"...Is there an American-made Quad that can satisfy the likes of Justin? Tune in next time for another exciting episode of The Quad Whore!" :D

"...Is there an American-made Quad that can satisfy the likes of Justin? Tune in next time for another exciting episode of The Quad Whore!" :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think Allagash FOUR is the best American quad I've had so far.