• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Many consider this beer to be king of the Doppelbocks. I believe it’s only available in Germany, or at the least isn’t distributed to the US, so there is obviously a lot of hype surrounding it amongst US beer drinkers. Being the malt enthusiast that I am, I've really been looking forward to trying it.

IMG_1041.jpg

Style – Doppelbock
ABV – 7.1%
Brewed In – Andechs, Germany
Availability – Brewed Year Round

This is it! The powerful, full-bodied, strong beer which is Andechs's trademark. Brewed in the traditional Triple Mash procedure and available throughout the year, not just during the "Starkbierzeit"!

-commercial description

Score - 8/10

Appearance
Pours dark amber with a very thin, almost nonexistent white head. The lacing is very minimal. Not much as far as signs of carbonation. I poured the second glass aggressively right down the middle, which lead to a little bit more head and lacing, but still not a whole lot.

Smell
Not a whole lot going on here. The aroma is very muted, due partly to the lack of head I guess. The second glass gives off a little more fragrance which is dominated by sweet, caramel malts. There is also a nice bouquet of dark fruit.

Taste
I put this in the fridge to chill it a little and got busy doing something else. As a result, by the time I sat down with it, it was a bit too cold. As it warmed up though, some of the flavors started to come forward. It is very sweet up front, almost sugary. Turns to dark fruit in the middle, dates and raisins, and then finishes very clean with just a hint of alcohol.

Feel
It feels very light and thin on the palate. Like I said before, it finishes very clean. Surprisingly, there is a good bit of carbonation despite the almost complete lack of bubbles and head.

Verdict
Don’t get me wrong, this is a good beer, just not what I was hoping for. In my opinion it is a huge beneficiary of it’s limited availability. I had a Montana brewed doppelbock, made by Bayern, immediately after and it was MUCH better.

Oh man, I'm jealous. This is a beer I've always wanted to try. I'm a big dopplebock fan.

Oh man, I'm jealous. This is a beer I've always wanted to try. I'm a big dopplebock fan.

Have I sent you any of the Bayern doppelbock yet Pete? I'd be curious to hear your opinion of it. I think it's fantastic.

Andechser DB is known for being light on the palate and easy to drink... hence very dangerous. First time I got smashed on it, I was invited out to celebrate the birth of my first child. Middle of the 4th .5 liter Steinkrug all of a sudden I couldn't talk very well anymore.

Not my favorite DB but one I like to drink every once in a while.

And its a much better brew on tap. :sign:

Nice review!

All you have to do is come visit me :cool:

Oh and a tip for your next bottle... pour it fast into a + half liter krug.

You'll find that you get a much better head and flavor than trying to drink it out of a little glass.

Nice review Justin. I have heard of this beer and have always wanted to try it as well.
I made a DB awhile back, upon sampling I thought it was "sugary" but light bodied, now reading your review and Wurms comments, I guess it's where it should be, although not exactly what I was aiming for.
Cheers

Oh and a tip for your next bottle... pour it fast into a + half liter krug.

You'll find that you get a much better head and flavor than trying to drink it out of a little glass.

As hard as these are to get over here, I don't think I'll be searching out another. I couldn't decide which glass to use, so I used this one since it's the same shape/size as the Celebrator glass. If I had it to do over I'd probably use my Lowenbrau seidel since I don't have a krug.

...since I don't have a krug.

mmmmmmm I think I can take care of that problem for you... :whistling:

Be checking your mailbox in about 2 weeks or so time.

*edit* After you PM me your addy of course :sign: