• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kasteel Brune

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
This beer came very highly recommended by my beer guy in RI. My brother picked me up a bottle in Denver a while back and I discovered it was from ’06 when I popped the cork! What a nice surprise for a beer that I was already really looking forward to.

IMG_1044.jpg

Style – Quadrupel
ABV - 11%
Brewed In – Ingelmunster, Belgium
Availability – Brewed Year Round

Score - 9/10

Appearance
Poured this into my new $.50 goblet that I bought at Good Samaritan while I was waiting for a prescription to be filled (it’s right next door to the pharmacy). Pours a dark brown with red highlights, and has a light tan, 1 finger head that dissipates quickly. Despite the lack of retention with the head, it provides heavy lacing. The beer is too dark and I can’t see through it to pick up on any signs of carbonation.

Smell
The first impression I get when bringing this to my nose is alcohol. There is also caramel, sweet malts, and a spiciness that I can’t put my finger on, nutmeg maybe.

Taste
This beer is VERY full flavored. Extremely sweet up front, but there are enough other things going on that it works very well. There are hints of toffee and yeast spiciness, and also tons of raisin and brown sugar. Finishes with a nice alcohol bite that isn’t nearly as intense as I was expecting based on the aroma. While it could possibly stand to be a little less sweet, overall it is well balanced and extremely complex.

Feel
The body matches the flavor exactly. It is very full bodied with average carbonation, which works perfectly. The sweetness of the raisins finishes long, lingering forever on the tongue.

Verdict
Another fantastic Belgian-made quad to add to my must haves in the cellar. As good as this is, I think more time would make it even better. This is another Belgian quad that trumps my favorite American brewed one. Perhaps someday I will find an American one that is comparable (it might even already be in the cellar), but until then I have yet another Belgian made one to fall back on.

I can not get enough of the Belgium beer. Good thing Ilive in Brussels. Not a fan of anything over 8% but thats just because I forget where Ilive after a few.

I never knew beer could taste so good. I have not tried any of the Kasteel products, but they are on my list. Thanks for the review.

Tim

Nice looking beer and .50 cents for a goblet what a bargin.