• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blackout Stout

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Jeff (cigarstone) sent me these for an Otterbox a while ago. I drank one shortly afterwards and really enjoyed it, but hadn’t gotten around to reviewing one until now.

IMG_1063.jpg

Style – Russian Imperial Stout
ABV - 9%
Brewed In – Cleveland, OH
Availability – Winter Release

Named after the infamous "Blackout of 2003" that left the northeastern United States in complete darkness, but resulted in old-fashioned neighborhood porch parties and down-home fun.

- greatlakesbrewing.com

Score - 8/10

Appearance
Pours jet black with a dark tan head. The head has good retention and provides medium lacing.

Smell
The dominant characteristic of the aroma is espresso, which is nicely balanced with bittersweet chocolate and caramel malts. There are no signs of alcohol present.

Taste
The flavor is much like the aroma. You get blasted with chocolate and coffee immediately. It’s VERY similar to the flavor of a mocha latte. It finishes with a nice bitterness. Overall the flavor is very well balanced, although lacking a bit in complexity. The presence of alcohol is nonexistent.

Feel
For an RIS, the body is very light and the carbonation is fairly heavy. It is very smooth though and actually finishes extremely clean.

Verdict
This is a very good beer that if I had easier access to would always keep in the cellar. It’s not as full flavored/bodied as I prefer in a RIS, but is still very enjoyable. Thanks again Jeff for the opportunity to try this.

Another great review Justin :thumbs: as always. I received one of these in trade myself, I am waiting for the weather to cool a bit before drinking it.

One of my personal favorites as well. Right up there with Siberian Night. Love the goblet.

Brandon