• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Ddepaola sent me a few bottles of this a while back and it caught my eye the other night so I figured I’d take some notes. Thanks again depasta!

IMG_1121.jpg

Style – American Double/Imperial Stout
ABV – 8.5%
Brewed In – Louisville, KY
Availability – Year Round

Score – 8.5/10

Appearance
The bottled on date on the label is March ’08. It pours jet black with a light tan head. The retention and lacing are almost non-existent.

Smell
There’s no mistaking that this is a bourbon aged beer from the first sniff. There is a very light hint of smokiness and cocoa underneath the plethora (Would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?) of bourbon.

Taste
I couldn’t have been more surprised by my first taste of this beer. Completely unlike the nose, the bourbon flavor isn’t overpowering at all. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a strong bourbon presence, but it’s not the only thing going on. There is a huge cocoa flavor present, although not to the point of being overshadowing. There is also a touch of caramel malt and smokiness from the bourbon. Overall it has a nicely balanced flavor.

Feel
There is really no carbonation to speak of, which works well with this beer. The body is nice and thick, as well as very smooth.

Overall
I really enjoyed this beer. Definitely a sipper, and because of this I like that it comes in the 12oz bottles so you can enjoy one by yourself without overwhelming your palate. Overall it is a nice representation of a style that’s popularity is booming at the moment. That being said, if you don’t like bourbon, this one probably isn’t for you.

Thanks again Dan. :thumbs:

Nice review man. I always enjoy it when you are expecting something obvious based on the nose and the taste catches you completely off guard. A buddy of mine brought a bottle of this to a tasting a while back and I remember it being just ok with a really thin body. Might have to revisit is seeing as how it was able to achieve the fabled 8.5.

That looks so interesting.

I just finished off a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. Probably my third, it is a great bottle.

Now I must find this.

Nice review Justin,

I am sucker for Bourbon and Coffee brews because they seem to have a lot of body and flavor. This is just another I will have to put on the must try list.

Cheers,
Adrian

wow that looks and sounds tasty! Now if I can only find a play to buy it rp

Agreed, this is a good one! About the only good thing coming out of Louisville these days. :rolleyes:

Great review, This is a very interesting beer. I will have to keep an eye out for this or something similar.

:thumbs: Thanks for posting.