• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Masala Mama IPA

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
While I admittedly am not much of a hop head, there are occasionally some hop forward beers that I really enjoy. That being said, this has been on the list for a while, and Mick (tsmckenney) was kind enough to hook me up with a growler of it. Thanks again bro! :thumbs:

Picture054.jpg

Style – American IPA
ABV – 5.9%
Brewed In – Minneapolis, MN
Availability – Year Round

Score – 9/10

Appearance
Pours a cloudy copper with some red highlights into my Sam Adams glass. The big, creamy head is light beige. The retention is solid and the lacing is extremely thick. Carbonation looks to be somewhere in the middle. All indications point to a very well crafted beer.

Smell
Not a whole lot going on other than a whole mess of hops, piney and resiny.

Taste
This is a hop bomb in every sense of the phrase. Initially, the bitter hops are a bit overwhelming, for me at least, but as it warms and the bitterness mellows a little, the different flavors begin to shine through. The bitter and piney hop flavors are balanced very nicely by their grapefruit and resiny counterparts, although the bittering hops are definitely more assertive. Also, as it warms a bit of a sweet malt backbone comes through, but it is minimal.

Feel
I would classify the body as medium, with a bit of lingering bitterness. The carbonation is right in the middle as well. The only thing about the feel of this beer that I don’t really enjoy is that the bitterness makes it a bit coarse.

Overall
I’m not a hop head at all, and the hops in this brew are pretty intense. That being said, this is a very well crafted beer and I can’t really say anything negative about it, other than that it isn’t my favorite style. I was going to say that I think the bitterness limits it’s drinkability (damn you Bud Light for making me think of your stupid commercials every time I see this word!), but I guess since I drank the whole growler it must not be too bad. Any hop head needs to try this beer if you have the opportunity, and even though I don’t fit the criteria I still really enjoyed it. Thanks again Mick!

Why in the hell didn't we drink this while you were here?! I am still kicking myself.. :(

btw, nice reivew. :cool:

Edit - Look at that awesome color! I can smell the hops from here! I have a hopboner!

Why in the hell didn't we drink this while you were here?! I am still kicking myself.. :(

btw, nice reivew. :cool:

Edit - Look at that awesome color! I can smell the hops from here! I have a hopboner!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The whole time I was drinking it I just kept thinking, "Damnit, Jonas would have loved this!"

Freaking HopHeads. You guys have to try Orland Park's Rock Bottom HOPBOMB on cask. Freaking Jason swears by it! :thumbs:

HopHeads? Did someone say HopHeads? Now I won't be able to work at all today! Beer me! :sign: