• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuvee de Castleton

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
rob300c sent me a bottle of this a while back and it caught my eye when I actually went down to the cellar to get a Beatification. I’m becoming a bit of a whore for sours lately, and have heard great things about this beer, so I was obviously very interested to see how this was. Thanks again Rob!

cdc.jpg

Style – American Wild Ale
ABV - 8%
Brewed In – Pleasantville, NY
Availability – Spring

At Captain Lawrence Brewing we are always pushing the limits of brewing to create new beers for you to enjoy. The bottle that you are holding in your hand is a testament to what can be achieved when you dare to blend conventional ingredients in an unconventional way. Cuvee de Castleton is a combination of Belgian style ale which has been re-fermented with hand picked Muscat grapes and aged in wine barrels. As the beer ages in the oak it undergoes a secondary fermentation using the wild yeast known as Brettanomyces. From our cellar to yours, this beer will age with the best of them.

-from the label

Score - 9/10

Appearance
The very nice looking bottle is marked as “Batch 2”. It pours murky, Budweiser yellow into my Rodenbach flute. The thin, stark white head disappears instantly and leaves no lacing. If this wasn’t a sour I would start worrying.

Smell
The aroma is really light, yet complex. There is a musty, earthy funk along with vinegar, white grapes, and lemon.

Taste
Up front there is white wine along with citrus sourness, grapefruit and lemon. While the sourness is definitely there, it isn’t puckering like some AWA can be. As it moves across the tongue there is a pretty strong sweet white grape flavor. It finishes with a touch of vinegary acidity. Overall very complex, and amazingly balanced.

Feel
This is very thin and light, with almost no carbonation. One of the only things I didn’t like about this beer was that I would have preferred a little more carbonation. The sourness and vinegar linger on the palate seemingly forever.

Overall
This beer was everything I was hoping for. What a truly fantastic beer! If you are a fan of sours, and have the opportunity to try this, do it. Thanks again Rob!

Very nice review. Sounds like one I'm going to have to find. Thanks

Nice review, Justin. For me this is one of those all time great beers that I just can't get enough of. Unfortunately it is somewhat limited so it’s a rare treat when I break one open.

On to the beer.. I found this years to be a little less aggressive in the pucker department than lasts years, but still thought it was excellent. It did have a much more pronounced oaky flavor which was nice.

A murky piss yellow would be less offensive than this!! :laugh:
It pours murky, Budweiser yellow

Awesome review!
I wonder if I have a first batch for you to do a comparison...

Maybe you and Jonas should come out to NY for the next release!
I got sofas for you guys!

Good luck to anyone trying to hunt this one down...
Only an 80 case release!

-Rob

Awesome review!

Only an 80 case release!

-Rob

Comes out in July right? It would be a sweet trip, but between 2009 DLD, Vegas and all the traveling I already do it would have to be a tough sell.

BTW Rob, why don't you get your ass out here for GABF next year!?

How does this compare to de Ranke XXX? Anyone had both?

Which de Ranke is that? I've had their Kriek but can't find any info on an XXX. There is an XX Bitter it looks like, but I would guess that is much different than this (as is the Kriek).

Awesome review!

Only an 80 case release!

-Rob

Comes out in July right? It would be a sweet trip, but between 2009 DLD, Vegas and all the traveling I already do it would have to be a tough sell.

It's generally a May release but when the beer is ready, it's ready!

I'll work on coming out to the GABF bro!
Can someone put me up for a few days?
Incidentals and flight I can handle...
Tack on a hotel charge and it becomes a little out of reach!
Sofas and floors are fine by me!

-Rob

Awesome review!

Only an 80 case release!

-Rob

It's generally a May release but when the beer is ready, it's ready!

-Rob

Of course man! Either that or you can crash with Alex. He had an extra bed, I guess his reputation precedes him. :laugh:

-Rob

Of course man! Either that or you can crash with Alex. He had an extra bed, I guess his reputation precedes him. :laugh:

I say we just have a big slumber party in Jonas's garage!

-Rob

Do we get our own personal bucket? :laugh:

-Rob

-Rob

Do we get our own personal bucket? :laugh:

-Rob

All I know is I have dibs on the spot closest to the kegerator!