• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I thought it was time that I took a break from all the heavy, big beers I’ve been reviewing and go with something lighter (yeah I know, this would have made more sense this summer :p ). Weihenstephaner is probably my favorite all around German brewery that is readily available in the US. Every one of their beers I’ve had is excellent, but this is the first time I’d had their Kristalweizen.

wstephkristal005.jpg

Style – Kristalweizen
ABV – 5.4%
Brewed In – Freising, Germany
Availability – Year Round

Score - 9/10

Appearance
Pours a clear, light straw color into my glass. The head is creamy, stark white, and about 3 fingers thick. It provides light, spotty lacing and has average retention. The bubbles are dense, hinting towards heavy carbonation.

Smell
The aroma is light and crisp, with touches of banana and cloves. Some wheat and grassy hops are also present.

Taste
There is a slight grassiness and bite from the hops initially, but this beer is all about the classic weizen flavors. There is loads of banana and cloves in the middle, and then some nice lemon twang in the finish. The flavors work amazingly well with each other and in my mind this is everything a weizen should be.

Feel
This beer has the typical creamy body I’ve come to expect from Weihenstephaner beers. At the same time, it has a bit of a bite from the heavy carbonation. I’m not sure how it manages to be so heavily carbonated, yet remain so creamy and smooth at the same time. If I could change this beer in any way, I would make it just a little bit less carbonated.

Overall
This is an extremely well made beer. I could drink these all day long, especially on a hot summer day. Very refreshing and easy to drink.

Awesome review. I did not get as much banana/cloves as you but you are right on that you can probably pound on these all day. Super refreshing.

Awesome review. I did not get as much banana/cloves as you but you are right on that you can probably pound on these all day. Super refreshing.

Yeah, I was surprised how strong those flavors were because in my experiences they are usually more subtle in kristals than in hefes. I actually gave my wife, who usually won't even try what I'm drinking, a taste and she told me it "tastes fruity."