• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Darkness

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Mick (tsmckenney) braved the crowds and the wrath of his wife to get me a couple bottles of this, for which I am very grateful as this is one of the holy grail beers to malt heads like myself. Darkness is a very limited, one day only release at the brewery. Surly is a fantastic brewery and I’m obviously a whore for RIS, so needless to say I had high expectations for this beer.
Thanks again Mick!
anim_32.gif

darkness.jpg

Style – Russian Imperial Stout
ABV – 10.3%
Brewed In – Brooklyn Center, MN
Availability – Fall (one day release at brewery)

Score – 7.5/10

Appearance
This bottle is from the ’08 release. There couldn’t possibly be a more fitting name for this beer than Darkness. It pours an absolutely jet black into my favorite snifter (which I sadly dropped and broke while washing recently :(). The head is big, brown, and soapy. It lingers for a decent amount of time and provides spotty lacing.

Smell
The aroma is surprisingly muted. There are some touches of chocolate malt and alcohol, but otherwise not a whole lot going on.

Taste
Milk chocolate flavors jump at you immediately after taking a sip. In the middle it rounds into some bittersweet chocolate and molasses, before finishing with a slight alcohol bite. It finishes extremely long and as the alcohol fades at the very end the sweetness returns. I’ve heard people talk about a substantial hoppiness in previous batches, but I don’t pick up any of that, with the exception of hops possibly contributing to the bittersweet flavor in the middle. The balance isn’t what I would hope for, the sweetness coming across as a bit artificial and cloying, but the flavor is still enjoyable.

Feel
I don’t think the body could possibly be any better. Very thick and creamy, with just a touch of carbonation. The smoothness is incredible.

Overall
I really enjoyed this beer, but it was just a bit sweeter than I would personally prefer. I’m really interested to see what happens to the other bottle with some time in the cellar. Thanks again Mick! :thumbs:

Mick introduced me to Surly at the Padron event. I love it, but alas it is not available in Southern Illinois :(

Better bring a bunch next year Mick!!!

Nice review Justin!

You must try this beer on tap! It is in a whole other universe! Ours was served at a perfect temp, with a ridiculous head (almost seemed it was on nitrogen), and did include that nice hoppiness that I expect from Surly. I couldn't agree with your more either on the mouthfeel...absolutley perfect!

I've never had the bottle, but I'm looking. I cannot wait to compare. From your review though, it seems to be better on tap. Thanks for the review.