• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Pig

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Russian River started bottling this the same time they started bottling Elder, and it kind of flew under the radar with all the hype that Pliny gets, but it’s a fantastic beer. I’ve had it before (thanks Grapes) and loved it, so when Jonesy bombed me with some (it was quite a while back, and I drank it right away, just took me a while to write up the review) needless to say I was really excited. I used to think I didn’t like hoppy beers, but I’ve recently come to the realization that I enjoy well balance APA/IPA/IIPA etc, but don’t like beers that offer nothing but over the top hoppy bitterness, which sadly there are a lot of. Thanks again Brian! :thumbs:

blindpig.jpg

Style – American IPA
ABV - 6%
Brewed In – Santa Rosa, CA
Availability – Rotating

Score - 8.5/10

Appearance
Pours a light hazy gold with lots of bubbles. The head is stark white and has good retention, leaving spotty lacing.

Smell
The aroma smacks you in the face with huge earthy, piney hops but there isn’t a whole lot else going on.

Taste
There is a very pleasant honey flavor up front. Rolls into a wide variety of hop flavors: pine, grapefruit, and tangerine. Finishes with an enjoyable bitterness, but not too much by any means. The sweetness from the honey balances the hoppiness out perfectly.

Feel
Has a medium body with heavy carbonation, which works perfectly. The finish is very clean and crisp. Great drinkability, I could polish off MANY of these.

Overall
This is a fantastic IPA. Very well balanced and the complexity of hop flavors is astounding. If I could get this here it would definitely be a staple in my fridge. I know they are VERY different styles, but I’ll take this over Pliny any day. Thanks again Brian!

LOVE the Pig...nice work, Justin. Glad to see your tastes are evolving as well. I agree, though...the super bitter tongue bruisers aren't for me, either, and I consider myself a hophead.

Russian River started bottling this the same time they started bottling Elder, and it kind of flew under the radar with all the hype that Pliny gets, but it’s a fantastic beer. I’ve had it before (thanks Grapes) and loved it, so when Jonesy bombed me with some (it was quite a while back, and I drank it right away, just took me a while to write up the review) needless to say I was really excited. I used to think I didn’t like hoppy beers, but I’ve recently come to the realization that I enjoy well balance APA/IPA/IIPA etc, but don’t like beers that offer nothing but over the top hoppy bitterness, which sadly there are a lot of. Thanks again Brian! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review Justin. I am with you 100% on the balanced IPA's. I never would drink IPA's in general because all the ones I tried were terrible, but then I started searching for the good ones. I never looked back after trying them. This is one great beer.

Great review!! I wish I could get that good stuff in Houston. :( :angry:

Nice review, Justin. Having just gone through 16 gallons of this stuff I think I got a little spoiled as I haven't really enjoyed some other IPA's as much as I used to. I agree that it is very well balanced but the hop flavor, quality and presence is what really sets this one apart from the pack. :thumbs: