• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee Bender

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
The Surly beer pimp (aka tsmckenney) surprised me with a couple cans of this the other day. I really like the regular Bender, so I couldn't wait to dig into this!

Coffee Bender refreshes like and iced-coffee, is aromatic as a bag of whole beans and satisfies like your favorite beer. Utilizing the latest technology, the Surly brew team has developed a cold extraction process that results in intense coffee aromatics and flavor - bringing together two of our favorite beverages. Your only dilemma will be whether to finish your day or start it with a Coffee Bender.

-from the can

coffeebender002.jpg

Style – American Brown Ale
ABV – 5.1%
Brewed In – Brooklyn Center, MN
Availability – Rotating

Score – 8.2/10

Appearance
It pours a very dark brown, almost black color. The light tan head is extremely dense with solid retention, and providing average lacing.

Smell
The coffee aroma is very pronounced and in your face. It’s dominates everything else, but there is also a hint of chocolate and dark malts. It actually smells amazingly similar to an iced mocha.

Taste
The coffee isn't quite as strong as in the aroma, but it is still definitely there and also provides a touch of bitterness. Milk chocolate and a slight hint of smokiness play off of the coffee very nicely. I don't get much in the way of hops, perhaps the bitterness from the coffee is hiding them, not sure? This is definitely all about the coffee, yet it's very well balanced and very drinkable.

Feel
The body is very smooth and creamy, leaving just a slight coating in my mouth. The carbonation is right in the middle and works well with the flavors and viscosity of the beer.

Overall
I thoroughly enjoy a well made coffee beer, and this definitely fits that category. That being said, while it was very solid, it wasn't mind blowing. Any time I come across some of this, I will more than gladly drink it, but it's not something I foresee myself hunting down. Thanks again Mick!

Great review Justin. I really love this beer actually, but I've only had it on tap. It is very well made, balanced, and rich. However, I think the viscosity is WAY off. It seems too thin in the mouth, almost oily, especially for the immense richness and darkness of the beer. Everytime I drink it, I am overwhelmed with the aromas and flavors, but then say "this beer just doesn't feel right in my mouth."

Either way, I'd drink it if I had it, but like you, I won't really go searching for it...will go searching for some Beer Geek Breakfast, however! :blush:

This beer really needs to be drank from the keg/cask. Fortunately, the bars of NE Minneapolis are usually well stocked with all types of Surly. So, if you're ever in town Justin, we'll drink this beer the way it was meant to be drank.

This beer really needs to be drank from the keg/cask. Fortunately, the bars of NE Minneapolis are usually well stocked with all types of Surly. So, if you're ever in town Justin, we'll drink this beer the way it was meant to be drank.

An extended beer trip to the Midwest is definitely on my list of things to do.

An extended beer trip to the Midwest is definitely on my list of things to do.

Make sure you hit us in Chicago then! I'm sure Alex and I could make you a happy camper with some of our beers!

I agree with Jason. Coffee Bender on tap was amazing. But the viscosoty is what had me puzzled. Too thin for such a rich beer. a cple months later I tried it on cask, Which made it a bit thicker and felt a bit more on par with the taste. SO for me Cask was where its at for this beer.

Justin you really need to come out for Darek Lord. Convince the wif that it is of the utmost importance you try Surly beers on tap. And Bourban County Stout on tap.

I agree with Jason. Coffee Bender on tap was amazing. But the viscosoty is what had me puzzled. Too thin for such a rich beer. a cple months later I tried it on cask, Which made it a bit thicker and felt a bit more on par with the taste. SO for me Cask was where its at for this beer.

Justin you really need to come out for Darek Lord. Convince the wif that it is of the utmost importance you try Surly beers on tap. And Bourban County Stout on tap.

You better be typing on your phone, otherwise, you need to go back to 5th grade! Epic. :laugh:

If you guys get a chance to try "Tea-bagged" Furious on cask, JUMP on it! Amazing beer. Sort of like a smoothed-out, creamy version of Furious. Hard to explain.

If you guys get a chance to try "Tea-bagged" Furious on cask, JUMP on it! Amazing beer. Sort of like a smoothed-out, creamy version of Furious. Hard to explain.

I just creamed in my pants. Thanks.

***SOS***... ISO of Surly Coffee Bender please help! :laugh::thumbs::whistling:

Are you guys able to get Furious and Bender 4-packs in Chicago (regularly)?

NO and NO! I wish they would open up the distribution over here already. They are just available on tap in a select few restaurants/pubs/bars around the Chicagoland area.

Why? Trying to help a brotha out? :whistling:

You know, I have dreams about Furious! :laugh:

What sucks about Surly is what makes them great. They have demand that will never be met, but they refuse to step away from their vision of making the best beer possible.

The owner recently posted his annual Surly Year in Beer. It's an interesting read:

surly linky

It's a little sad towards the end, as he discusses the hops crisis, or what some brewers are now calling Y2K; but they aren't changing their recipes, the beer will just cost more. So it goes.

SOAPBOX: If all American businesses were more like Surly, in the way they treat their product, their employees, their customers, etc; imagine the country we could live in. OFF SOAPBOX. :cool:

What sucks about Surly is what makes them great. They have demand that will never be met, but they refuse to step away from their vision of making the best beer possible.

The owner recently posted his annual Surly Year in Beer. It's an interesting read:

surly linky

It's a little sad towards the end, as he discusses the hops crisis, or what some brewers are now calling Y2K; but they aren't changing their recipes, the beer will just cost more. So it goes.

SOAPBOX: If all American businesses were more like Surly, in the way they treat their product, their employees, their customers, etc; imagine the country we could live in. OFF SOAPBOX. :cool:

Thanks for posting this link. A good friend of mine shared some Surly with me a couple years ago. I don't know why I've never picked some up since then. Especially since they're in town.

Thanks for reminding me.

Bill

Coffee and beer brought together, and made by Surly. Oh my goodness. Mick, I hope you have a cooler full of this for Padron. :laugh: