• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Bowmore Dragon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Bowmore 30 Single Malt Islay Scotch, Sea Dragon Decanter, 86 proof, presentation box. Released in2004, 1800 bottles, No longer produced.

Bowmore%2030%20Dragon%20closed.jpg
Bowmore%2030%20Dragon.jpg

Based on a local Islay legend of Fingal the story is as follows:

Legend has it that the greatest Scottish warrior of all, Fionn mac Cumhaill – also known as Fingal – was walking across Islay with his two massive hounds: Bran and Seeolang. Fionn, who was possessed of supernatural powers and superhuman strength, hoisted a large standing stone and threw it half-way across the island – into the depths of Loch Indaal – for his dogs to fetch back. The splash made by the stone stirred the dark sands at the bottom of the Loch, and with them stirred from his thousand year sleep the sleeping form of the sea-dragon Kranna Dubh. Kranna surged up from the depths and swam to the shore at Bowmore to meet with Fionn in combat. A fierce battle ensued, ending with Kranna lurching back into the Loch, mortally wounded by Fionn’s magical sword, Mac a’Luin, his dark blood seeping into the waters. It is said that when the sun sets, Loch Indaal turns red with his blood – and that local mothers scold their children severely, if ever they catch them pitching stones into the Loch.

The Bowmore Dragon is one of three ceramic decanters first released in 1996 and again in 2003 and 2006. The others are the 25yo Gulls and the 22yo Sky also based on local legend. I've had this one since 2004 and opened it a few years ago but just haven't gotten around to a review however, today needed an exclamation point and the Bowmore was gonna be it.

The wife and I cooked up a standing rib roast with all the good stuff for Easter dinner where I ate entirely too much and had to rest for at least an hour and smoke a Padron. It was after that the Bowmore came out.

The color in the glass is wet old hay while the nose is smooth and round riding on light peat smoke and sea air. Most likely the last of the classic Bowmore before something changed in '74 when Bowmore became lighter and even more fruity. That lasted almost 20 years before things went back to what I considered "normal" and normal is good. Tasting is chocolate, peat, a bit of lemon zest with a high sweetness holding on all through the finish.

Damn near the best Bowmore I've ever had and with the current pricing of aged Bowmore probably the last of the high-end for me but I'm gonna enjoy it while I can :thumbs: An ACE!

I have seen pictures of the "dragon" bottle before but never knew the story, thanks!

This stuff sounds awesome!

It is! One of the few bottles I'll keep once its empty.

If that were mine I'd have a hard time completely draining the bottle. :blush:

Wow. Thanks for the review. Sounds like a special bottle too bad the price tag is special also. :laugh: