• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Edition 2004

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Got a bottle of this a long time ago in a trade with indyrob and forgot I even had it. Stumbled across it when I was putting some stuff in the cellar so I figured I’d see how it held up.

uni2004.jpg

Style – Belgian Strong Pale Ale
ABV – 10.5%
Brewed In – Chambly, Quebec
Availability – One Time Release

Score – 8.2/10

Appearance
The cork makes a nice pop coming out of the bottle, giving me hope that there is still some carbonation left. It pours a vibrant copper, with a stark white 2-finger head that is short lived. The yeast has taken over the bottle and it is pretty much impossible to pour a glass without getting any. There is a lot of bubbling going on which makes me even more excited at the prospect of remaining carbonation!

Smell
The smell is subdued when brought to my nose, but fairly complex. The prevalent aroma is that of spices: cloves, nutmeg, and coriander. The spice is accompanied by apples and a touch of alcohol.

Taste
Initially there is a lot of Special B raisin flavor along with the same spices from the nose. As it travels across my tongue there is some Belgian yeast notes and some sweet cherry before finishing fairly dry with a hint of alcohol. There are absolutely no signs of oxidation at all and though I’m guessing the flavor is starting to thin out a little (although it’s hard to say since I didn’t have one fresh), I’d say this has held up very well.

Feel
The medium body has pretty faint carbonation, but it’s definitely there. In comparison to the prickly carbonation you would get from a fresh beer the carbonation in this is very smooth, if that makes sense. There is still a slight alcohol burn present, I can’t imagine what this was like fresh!

Overall
This held up pretty well considering it’s ~5 years old, but I think it’s probably on its way downhill. I wish I had tried it fresh so I had something to compare it to though, I can’t imagine how hot it must have been. The spices are a bit heavy for my personal tastes, but overall it’s a very solid beer. Thanks Rob for hooking it up!