• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait (2003)

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Cali Mike sent one of these in the beer PIF and after seeing that I hounded him mercilessly until he sent me one. I’m starting to think more and more that I would drink nothing but sours if I could afford it, and this didn’t disappoint at all.

Traditional Belgian “Oude Geuze.” 100% spontaneously fermented Lambic aged for a minimum of three years in oak barrels. Refermented in the bottle. Tart, dry, sparkling and refreshing.
-label

marriageparfait.jpg

Style – Geuze
ABV – 8%
Brewed In – Lembeek, Belgium
Availability – Year Round

Score – 8.8/10

Appearance
This is a 2003 vintage, and I took a double take when I saw the best by date. 02.02.27!!! Guess I cracked it too soon! It pours a murky honey color with an austere white, champagne like head. The head doesn’t stick around, and leaves no lacing at all. There are signs of heavy carbonation, I guess there needs to be if it’s going to hold up until 2027.

Smell
A very strong smell of citrus hits my nose immediately after popping the cork. There isn’t a whole lot going on other than the big, sour smell though.

Taste
It starts off nice and tart with the same lemon character from the nose. It sweetens a little in the middle and there is some vanilla too. It finishes very dry with a lot of oak character.

Feel
The carbonation is very heavy, especially considering it is 5-6 years old. Very light and exceptionally crisp.

Overall
This is nicely balanced and is a great representation of the style. It’s a very solid beer that I would recommend to anybody who is either a fan of geuze or is interested in delving into it. This is a great baseline of what a geuze should be in my opinion. Thanks again Mike!

glad you enjoyed this one Justin. I think its time to pick up a couple more bottles. :whistling:

glad you enjoyed this one Justin. I think its time to pick up a couple more bottles. :whistling:

How much do they run Mike? I'd like to try cellaring a couple bottles until 2027.

They run anywhere from $13.99 - $15.99 depending where i can get them from.

let me know i can swing by and get them for you.