• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pere Jacques '06

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I got this in a package on my beer forum for winning a fantasy football thing last year and never got around to drinking it until now. I love everything I've had from Goose Island and this did nothing to damper my appreciation of their beers.

perejacques0.jpg

Style – Dubbel
ABV – 9%
Brewed In – Chicago, Illinois
Availability – Rotating

Score – 7.8/10

Appearance
I really like the simplicity of Goose Island labels, the 2006 vintage being clearly marked. I had it in my head that this was a strong pale ale, so when I poured it I was very surprised and excited. It pours a cloudy brown with brilliant auburn highlights when held up to the light. The head is a very creamy, off white that has decent retention. There are little to no signs of carbonation other than the head, so I'm not expecting a lot in that department.

Smell
The base and dominant character of the aroma is from the candi sugar and everything else plays off of it. There is a faint smell of dark fruit, raisins and plums, along with a touch of alcohol.

Taste
There is a nice caramelized/slightly burn sugar flavor that dominates the taste. It finishes with a very slight alcohol warmth. I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of any fruit flavors despite the aroma. There is at most a slight hint of raisins, but i probably just talked myself into tasting that. Overall it is pleasant though fairly one dimensional.

Feel
The body is right in the middle, which you'd expect from a big beer with such a strong candi sugar presence and works very well with the flavors. The carbonation is very light, though definitely there, and lends towards a very smooth beer overall.

Overall
Though the flavor was pretty uneventful, this was a very nice, enjoyable beer overall. I would have loved more of a fruity character that I was expecting after smelling it and also considering it's a dubbel, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Nice review, sounds like something I'd enjoy. I definitely need to get my hands on more GI beers after trying GI's Bourbon County Stout.

That looks interesting. I have never tried anything from Goose Island. To bad they dont ship those great beers down south.

We just starting getting the new 2009 Pere Jacques and Matilda. It has a new label, very minimalist. I'll have to give it a try, I haven't had the Pere Jacques in a while. 22oz bottles now as well. Supposedly the BCS will also be in the bomber this year. There's a night's worth of drinking for you!