• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye Whiskey

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye Whiskey, 80 Proof, about $10 for 750ml

Pikesville%20Supreme%20Rye.JPG

Pikesvill Supreme is no longer made in Pikesville, MD but has moved to Bardstown, KY to the Heaven Hill distillery. Suposedly it is the same formula that was used in Maryland for over 100 years.

As I first wrote in my Jim Beam Rye review, what makes a whiskey a rye whiskey is at least 51% of rye grain used in the distillation process. In the days before Prohibition rye whiskey was THE american whiskey holding a huge market share.

Pikesville Supreme bills itself as "The Aristocrat of Straight Whiskies." Surprisingly this 4 year old rye comes of better than you would expect. For the under $10 out the door I paid I wasn't expecting too much, perhaps something close to the Jim Beam rye. This is better then the Beam although not by a wide margin but when you factor in it is 30% less it becomes a very good buy.

Like Beam it noses with rye and vanilla but with a little something extra in the background....anise maybe? It has a sweet smooth taste that is unusual in just a 4 year old whiskey. Flavors are strong on the sides of the tongue with a good rye taste. The finish is long and seems to maintian the flavor quite well.

This isn't very fancy whiskey but it is versitile, it would be at home being passed around and drunk straight from the bottle or in almost any cocktail. Not too strong with good flavor this is a whiskey you can enjoy without having to think about it unlike some the much older ryes available.

Line up the shot glasses, pour it out and have at it. This is my new "best buy" in Rye Whiskey. :thumbs:

AVB, I live 10 minutes from Pikesville, never knew it had a distillery. About 25 years ago they tore down some distilleries that were less than a mile from me. Gotta ask around as to what name they were ?

Calvert had some distilleries in Maryland, it might have been those near you. There are hundreds of closed distilleries in PA and MD that didn't survive Prohibition.

The only rye I have, and have ever had is "Old Overholt". It is not a classic. Once when doing a remodel on the office we found an old bottle of rye in a hidden compartment in the Board Room, circa 1945. It was from Maryland. The name was "Old Drum" and the label said "You just can't beat it". Until then I had never heard of Maryland whiskey.

A lot of old movies have scenes where the patrons order a rye and the social club I belong to once printed a history of what they purchased for stock just prior to Prohibition. They purchased $70,000 worth of whiskey and gin, which was a lot for that time. About 30% was rye.

Old Drum was made by the Calvert Distilling Co. of Baltimore. Old Overholt is considered a classic rye as one of the few survivors of Prohibition. It's made by Jim Beam now and is fairly close to their yellow label formula IMHO.

I thought you were sampling again. :)